Why Can't I Trade with the Trend

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Flashboy, Mar 10, 2005.

1. That's it. Right there. You're afraid of when the music's going to stop and you won't be able to find a seat (or in this case, get out of the seat/trade).

Try this, as it helped me. Look at the idea that *maybe* you're not built for holding the length of a tradeable trend. Consider the idea that holding out for the 'whole' thing makes you nuts and you'll never suppress your urge/fear with this.

Try sim or paper trading with higher volume but with MUCH faster initial exits/scaling out. This is what was the 'light bulb' moment for me and has what has helped me turn my corner. I don't stay in for the whole move any longer. I scale it then start scaling out quickly. It rings the cash register much earlier and makes me relax about hanging on to the last piece awaiting what might be a good move.

If you're moving all in in one trade and then moving all out, you're killing yourself like I was.

Scale in in thirds and scale out in thirds starting quickly (like a few ticks). See if that helps.

I didn't start making any $ until I started trading this way and stopped trying to fight my personality.

#71     Mar 11, 2005
  2. Your nickname makes it obvious your focus or any personal research you have ever done didn't have anything to do with validating trend theory.
    I applaud your supposed success with scalping but the technique is solely based on random & chaotic attacks at price. Similar to one of those ankle biting dogs. I wish you continued success with your trading, just know that there are many of us out here successfully extracting profit from the Market on a daily basis from leisurely positioning ourselves in the direction of your non-existent trend.

#72     Mar 11, 2005
  3. Not yet.. Was very busy yesterday afternoon and have decided to take a few days off from trading..

#73     Mar 11, 2005
  4. As for composition, I believe you're correct. But, then there's the very interesting MLR .?.Which could/would be a seperate consideration.

#74     Mar 11, 2005
  5. There will always be people of the right side of any "trend" by random distribution. The point is to reliably predict the trend before it happens, which is what so very few people do.

And none of them does it reliably using standard methods, which they soon find out.

#75     Mar 11, 2005

6. Have you noticed over the years when you are on snipe hunts with your colleagues how the rules change?

#76     Mar 11, 2005
  7. Every time I go on one of those dang snipe hunts I always end up in the woods alone for some reason.

#77     Mar 11, 2005
  8. yeah, well ya gotta be fast on your feet... stay ahead of the crowd. :D

#78     Mar 11, 2005
  9. #79     Mar 11, 2005
  10. Without change, even money can be boring.

#80     Mar 11, 2005