Why Can't I Trade with the Trend

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Flashboy, Mar 10, 2005.

1. I agree with (change in price).

#461     Mar 18, 2005
    #462     Mar 30, 2005
  3. When you make a call that drags in 30-35 points,Then you can take the piss out of my comments

#463     Mar 30, 2005
  4. Everest

Everest

Bollocks.

#464     Mar 30, 2005
  5. Good call spike , I went short at 1216 ,H/S on 60 chart with a down slope was good confirmation to get in early on the move,I use 60 ,10, 5,

#465     Mar 30, 2005
  6. Cutten

Cutten

Hello Hank. Can you take a look at the price action of the Tokyo Stock Exchange 2nd section Index from early 2003 onwards. By my definition there were two clear trends there - can you examine the data and see if they would qualify under your tests?

#466     Mar 30, 2005
  7. Cutten

Cutten

There is no such thing as "reasonably accurate" efficiency. 99.9% efficiency is inefficiency, since the state has changed from one where profit is impossible (100% efficiency) to one where profit is possible (<100% efficiency).

Your claim is like saying someone is "almost a virgin".

#467     Apr 1, 2005
  8. or "a little bit pregnant" ?

#468     Apr 1, 2005
  9. WilliamV

WilliamV

I throughly enjoyed reading every single post in this thread and I'm fascinated by the entire discussion.

I've come away with the following preliminary conclusions: Need to give more weight to volume in determining trend strength or it's reversal and not using it alone but with other factors. Time is also extremely important. Adaptive MA's could help point the way.

When something is in motion, it tends to stay in motion, at which a point comes when last majority crowd on the ride causes an opposite reaction. Trends do exist and when they are present they affect future price action, increasing it's predictability.

I think the major difference that exists between the approaches presented here is detecting the shift in trend the quickest, increasing return.

#469     May 28, 2005
  10. j1900q

j1900q

it is ok to trade against the trend. Just know be quick in and quick out. Take small gains, and never trade without a stop. If you do trade against the trend, sell where everybody else is selling. For me, es, overnight high, high of yest, high of last week, or obvious support resistance areas. For buys of course, do just the opposite. Have a great day.
    Keith

#470     May 29, 2005