Why can't I make money - when I know what do do?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Vespasian, Mar 2, 2009.

1. I even have that master with 2:1 minimums but somehow I get bad fills or I execute the wrong direction or a miriad of other fucking mistakes that always short change me on my winners and cut into my profits.

#21     Mar 2, 2009
  2. joemiami

joemiami Guest

Ive seen this time and time again... former stockbrokers taking cues from their company's analysts on telling their clients on what to buy and sell but have no real perception on knowing how to read the markets by themselves.

If you cant get ahead in the trading business after all the help you've gotten then I would say...trading isnt for you. Move on and invest your money in something else like starting a business of some type...

P.S. Dont feel so bad bcuz you didnt make it in this business.. At least you tried.

Good luck to you, and....may the force be with you

#22     Mar 2, 2009
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

by now you should know where the problem lies, just look into a mirror.

#23     Mar 2, 2009
  4. eagle

eagle

If I get your point correctly, your below statement mean that your first instinct was right (going short) but since you are not emotionally stable and stick to your inmost belief then you allow market noise to change your decision, easily!

No mentor in the world could train you if you continue to allow such noise to overwrite your first and initial belief. Because everything he taught to you will be overwritten anyway by daily noise.

#24     Mar 2, 2009
  5. Probably one of the few relevant posts in this thread.

#25     Mar 2, 2009
  6. KISS.
    Quit.

#26     Mar 2, 2009
  7. How you pretend to forecast price movements?
    Tech analysis?
    Trading the "news"?

NONE of this approaches gives enough edge to overcome the fact that you have the odds against you (in terms of bid-ask spreads and commissions).

You don't know what to do.
    If you open your eyes, you'll realize that brokers promote active trading so you generate lots of commissions.
    Brokers don't care if you lose, they just want you to generate commissions.

#27     Mar 2, 2009
  8. loza

loza Guest

If you are posting this than clearly YOU are not as savvy as you think (well most fuckers on ET think themselves as geniouses), because if a person is in the know, he/she is AWARE that "knowledge" is useless in trading...you must act and act right, cannot have fear and must have a shitload of money stashed elsewhere....all others are like most on ET, deer with the headlight suck on them at late night in the forest...

#28     Mar 2, 2009
  9. Redneck

Redneck

Vespasian,

My heart goes out to you – I’ve been where you are…

Only you can decide if you want to continue or not

Right now you don’t want to change bad enough – If you decide to press on then you’ll need to change your internal wiring, or trading will never work for you

Sorry to say you have a lot more hell to go through as your journey has just started

My journey changed me permanently – a lot for the better, and some for the worse – but – it is what it is

No measure is too extreme if you want this (read into this statement what you will)

In past years I would have traded POT long today - today it never crossed my mind (not because of any set ups - but because of the way I've reprogrammed my head)

Redneck

#29     Mar 2, 2009
  10. One thing I noticed is...I know what to do , but I still can't make money.

I just got the IQ feed, and use 144 ticks , I trade mostly high volume ETF, like SRS FAS FAZ DIA DXD ...GS RIMM and POT.

I mostly try to find simple patterns, like, HH/HL , LH/LL / Double bottom, double top, head and shoulders, draw trendlines constantly, mark highs and lows, but I'm not able to make any money.

My entries arent good, and most of the time I lack "confidence" to place a trade. For example I could have bought FAZ 3 weeks ago @ 40/// I had a 200 shares order..but backed out....thing went to 80, then last thursday, I had another order @ 48.06 x 150 shares... I didnt place it, today its @ 75$. This is crazy, I seem to have the right idea/plan ...but I dont know what I'm doing wrong, what my problem is, I know confidence is one of them, maybe I should minimize my shares to like 50 / 100 instead, but the rest I just dont know.

What do you guys think ?

#30     Mar 2, 2009