why can't I follow my system?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ymtrader, Jun 20, 2006.

1. ymtrader

ymtrader

Hi Guys,

Good thought provoking comments by all, thank you.

Trader666, I have been having trouble creating a MCS excel spreadsheet that would help me to strengthen my MM techniques. I have run Monte Carlo sims in the past, w/ excel, that varies the win% over a certain range so that I can see what kind of variations in win% will still leave me a postive expectancy system w/ my current win/loss #'s.

Do you have any suggestions for setting up an MCS for MM optimization?

#31     Jun 20, 2006
  2. First thing you must do is evaluate your identity. If I introduced myself to you at a Trader workshop would you reply"I am system 22(fake name of your system) and my name is ymtrader".

No you would not! You are not your system. The only thing that sounds destructive is your attachment to this static system.

Can you reduce your size to an acceptable emotional level?

What is stopping you from developing several intraday systems that have small drawdowns?

A system is only a tool. If a carpenter breaks his hammer what does he do? Does he give up being a carpenter? NO
    He finds another hammer to do the job!

Remember the system is only a tool you are the skilled carpenter!!

#33     Jun 20, 2006
  3. ymtrader

ymtrader

Thx Tonkadad....

I have, of course, heard of all these books before. But I have never read any of them.

I never read any of the trading books b/c I wanted to devlop my system my own way, but now that I have done that, I see the value in investing time reading some of the psychological trading books out there, especially after reading that thread. Thanks for pointing me to it.

#34     Jun 20, 2006
  4. Excuse me but I did give him a suggestion and a useful one at that.

Perhaps you can pull the plug on your computer if you don't want your opinions questioned.

#35     Jun 20, 2006
  5. http://www.hquotes.com/tradehard/simulator.html

#36     Jun 20, 2006
  6. Re: why can't I follow my system?

imo, subconsciously you've done indeed a very good job effectively - not to follow the (losing) system. :D

#38     Jun 20, 2006
  7. ymtrader

ymtrader

Thx, Electric....

I have this site bookmarked, and use it every now and then as a sanity checker.

#39     Jun 20, 2006
  8. ...if i did that where would i get my entertainment from people like you?:D

OP sorry for the offtopic chatter.

#40     Jun 20, 2006