Why can no one suggest a real prop firm on this section of the forum

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by gpstrade, Feb 11, 2012.

1. boomerou

boomerou

Even though I am a complete newbie and just getting started here's where I am so far.

I am with Capital Trader's Group. I have sent them the registration/testing fee of $399 and I am studying in preperation for taking the Series 56.

I chose CTG because of the good comments on bulletin boards and the unbelivably good customer service. I have had every question answered promptly and they have been more than helpful! Yes, I am aware they are a LLC and could possibly disappear in the middle of the night with my deposit. I find this unlikely as their business model looks to me to be very profitable by just being legitimate. Their offices (near Wall Street) look legit as well if that means anything.

I have taken Series 56 webinars that they give and they have been helpful. Although I think the Series 56 is still going to be a massive beast that intimidates me no end.

I will be starting with $5,000 in capital and that will give me $50,000 in day trading buying power.

My "deal" is .004 cents per share commission and 99%/1% profit split. My monthly fees will total $269. I am responsible for all losses in the account. No overnight positions.

My initial deposit will be tied up for one year and will obviously be eaten up by fees if I am not profitable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't expect to make a living from this, at least not immediately. However, I see no reason I can't be profitable. I will be limiting my risk to 2% of capital per trade. ($100 max on $5,000). My method I think is good and has proven profitable on paper and in real time Level 2 demo on Lightspeed.

I think it's possible I may lose the enitre $5,000, but that is my maximum risk. (Technically I am responsible for all losses even past my deposit, but I won't lose more than $5,000 with solid money management. )

The reason I am going with a prop firm is simple. Less initial deposit required. So, while the fees are a bit higher than the best deals out there, I am also getting training and really good support which is important to me as a newbie.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to comment or even be critical if you want. I want to learn all I can!

#21     Feb 13, 2012
  2. Hey, if anyone can make $100 per day on 100 shares of stock, hmm? Might just have to, LOL. Wouldn't you?

Don :p

#22     Feb 13, 2012
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

No, because I would never believe the data was statistically significant.

#23     Feb 13, 2012
  4. With 5k day trade commodities. Much more volatile than stocks. They are electronic now. Probably why they have not taken off yet. Too new as an electronic market.

#24     Feb 13, 2012
  5. Our guys use SPY and levered ETF's for their market volatility plays. My brother went into some detail at our Retreat in December to explain the indicators and such. Seems to have taken roost a bit, keeping fingers crossed for the whole year.

Don

#25     Feb 13, 2012
  6. What do you base that statement on? There are probably at most 10 commodities that are worth trading, versus 6000 stocks. I think you can find many more volatile stocks on a daily basis than volatile commodities.

#26     Feb 13, 2012
  7. That's the problem how do you find the stock that is going to move? Look at the move on copper today at 9:00am est, straight down 5c or $1250, margin requirement on IB $4974

#27     Feb 13, 2012
  8. Give me an example of a stock trade today that made 20% and how you identify it before it happened.

#28     Feb 13, 2012
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

You are using return on margin. If you play that game then anyone who trades stock with 20 to 1 margin (prop) can make that on a 1% move in the stock. There are 100's of those a day to choose from.

#29     Feb 13, 2012
  10. gpstrade

gpstrade

Don thanks for the offer, For the past 3 years thats what I been doing. Giving an investor my entrys and in return he paid me. I made 30k year he made ????. He stop telling me how many shares he was buying. Hard to pay bills family of 4 on that. Lucky wife bread winner.

#30     Feb 13, 2012