Why be a moderator?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by l2tradr, Nov 10, 2009.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

nothing so mysterious, I just want to help in cleaning up some trash I see, that's all.

#21     Nov 10, 2009
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

About a former mod?

I volunteered after a request for volunteers was made. Served for approximately three maybe three and a half years. I was spending a fair amount of time on the site and thought I'd help do my part to reduce spam and keep up the over quality of the site.

At the time I stepped down my trading was taking off and I felt moderating properly was just too time consuming.
    To a lesser extent I also felt a little hamstrung in what could I post what with being a rep of the site and all.

Like with any other job there are good mods and not so good. It is a time consuming thankless position. If you're too laid back members complain you're not doing enough. If you really try to keep threads civil and on topic and have to start editing to do it. Those members with deleted or edited posts are raising hell in feedback.
    In short, you can't win.

(don't bother asking for any "inside scoop", I won't answer, and things maybe different now anyway)

#22     Nov 10, 2009
  3. Many thanks to mod Ivanovich for help and advice.

#23     Nov 10, 2009
  4. i second Ivan..

#24     Nov 11, 2009
  5. 1) You get to mute/banish posters you dont like.
    2) You are less likely to get flamed
    3) You can keep your favorite threads clean by weeding out the trolls.
    4) You get to meet Baron and represent ET at TradersExpo :D

#25     Nov 11, 2009
  6. Hey T28, nice to see you dude :D

#26     Nov 11, 2009
  7. Heh...

To be honest, I initially volunteered as a mod in the forex forum. I wanted to remove the stupid ass posts that Coinz/Skalpz was posting in there as it was madding to read.

From there, I was asked to take on other forums and it just spiraled out of control from there. It doesn't take too much of my time, and i try to be fair (though many folks will claim otherwise, because they're the problem children of the forum).

When it becomes too much time or not worth it anymore, I'll move on. No biggie. I certainly don't come here to learn any more! :)

#27     Nov 11, 2009
  8. morganist

morganist Guest

i think ivanovich and tgregg are the best in my opinion. the others aren't bad these two are just the most hard working.

#28     Nov 12, 2009

9. Thanks for explaining this so well.

>>> It is a time consuming thankless position
    In short, you can't win. <<<

Heck even if I had anything -ve to say about them, which I don't, just based on the above, I'd hold back as much as I possibly could.

#29     Nov 12, 2009
  10. zdreg

zdreg

that is what makes a market . ivan has received some very unfavorable posts in the past year.

#30     Nov 12, 2009