Why be a moderator?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by l2tradr, Nov 10, 2009.

1. l2tradr

l2tradr

I've always wondered about this: why would anyone want to be a moderator of a message board? From what I know, they are not paid (even though the site owners like this one make plenty of money). Are there any perks whatsoever? I can see of course moderating your own forum, but a volunteer moderator is what puzzles me.
    Thanks!

2. simple...having the ability to wield power and punish people indiscriminately.

3. l2tradr

l2tradr

Punish how? By removing their posts? By banning a nameless user who can just turn around and create a new name in 5 seconds? It seems like a big waste of time. Plus, I don't think anyone admits or brags at a party that they moderate a message board for the power :p

4. zdreg

zdreg

some mods are powerless in their personal lives.
    some mods are incapable of hitting the trade button.

this thread belongs in chit chat.

5. "why be a police officer"

6. l2tradr

l2tradr

To protect memebers of society from harm, in exchange for making a living? I'm sure you can see the difference.

7. zdreg

zdreg

a police officer gets paid very handsomely with benefits and early retirement + you get to whack people when your wife doesn't w.....

8. in that case an honest man has many options

peace corps
    teach 4 america
    border patrol
    lifeguards
    firefighters
    paramedics

i'd even respect the fbi or actual "detectives"

9. l2tradr

l2tradr

I'm not sure what you're talking about and this is going off-topic. Being a policeman is very different than moderating a message board, it's quite clear. And if someone who is thinking about becoming a mod does so because he wants to be like an actual cop, then he's quite delusional.

10. i think a good moderator for any message board is someone who could be called an expert on the subject and is required to keep things organized, but in reality >50% are delusional from your example

#10     Nov 10, 2009