Why base metals and other commodities don't crash...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Doji7, Jan 23, 2008.

1. rosy2

rosy2

find all the articles you want. theres a reason why commodity options are skewed to the upside while equities are skewed down

#11     Jan 25, 2008
  2. This commodity bull is over for awhile. Nothing but a downtrend now for the next few years. We'll use the continuous CRB as the gauge of this.

#12     Jan 25, 2008
  3. ess1096

ess1096

Jim Rogers said recently that the commodities bull usually runs about 14 years and that it's somewhere around the third inning. States demand from China will continue to drive commodities higher, specifically agriculture, with some corrections along the way of course.

#13     Jan 25, 2008
  4. Jim has the record to beat. I will still stick by my statement, I see a period of deflation on the forefront. Besides, a good portion of China's demand is to make shit for the US consumer. CRB has hit it's high.

#14     Jan 26, 2008
  5. sumosam

sumosam

Agreed....real estate crash, then financial crash. Wasn't real estate considered a HARD ASSET that would only go up with inflation? The law of supply and demand rears its ugly head! (or not so ugly head)

:D

#15     Jan 26, 2008
  6. Commodities prices are driven by demand, like anything else. If overal global demand slackens considerably, their value will decline.

That doesn't guarantee their value in US dollar terms will decline, however, because if the reason for the decline in demand is because the US went into recession, the value of the US dollar may decline quicker than the commodities.

Will they crash? Sure, but when, from how high, and to how low? And remember to adjust for the value of the dollar you are measuring with..

just my 2 cent opinion...

#16     Jan 27, 2008
  7. commoditiestrdr

commoditiestrdr Commodities View

Metals won't crash anytime soon....we have inflation. They eventually will though whenever the fed decides to control inflation

http://www.commoditiesvue.com

#17     Jan 27, 2008
  8. Metal52

Metal52

Para Roach:

What deflation are you talking about? World governments are printing fiat currencies like crazy to flood the marketplace. There is too much liquidity and it is impossible to drain the liquidity. Where can the liquidity deflate to?

Commodity represent real value in something physically exist and has limited supply. Commodity can only go up, not going down. People need to eat and consume. The commodity bull will continue indefinitely until the currency crisis is over.

Where do you put your money if you have one trillion US dollars?

#18     Jan 27, 2008
  9. Because there's no recession.

And there wasn't much speculation on their prices before.

#19     Jan 27, 2008