Why arguments and debates about God and religion are fruitless

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Gabfly1, Sep 2, 2010.

1. The denver post says hawkings use M Theory to make his argument.

So it is likely to be a similar argument to the one Susskind made.

There could be trillions of universes and we just happen to live in the one that works therefore you can't say this one universe appears designed.

#51     Sep 3, 2010
  2. By the way... this jem on his work machine.

there is a interesting youtube article on the subject.
    The physicists in the video from England seem to concur that Hawkings is using M theory.

So he is likely to say if there are 10 to 500 universes there is nothing special about ours and therefore no need to assert God.

It will be interesting though if he says our one universe does look designed.

#52     Sep 3, 2010
  3. stu

stu

If you can't even figure how to sign into ET as jem on your "work machine"....

...you're not honestly expecting to comprehend Hawkin's explanations are you?

Interesting to dubious multiple split personalities like yourself perhaps, who like to pretend people say and mean things they neither say nor obviously mean.

#53     Sep 3, 2010
  4. good point about 'god did it' explanation. I believe in individual karma.

regarding science and supernatural beings, stay tuned, science will catch up one day.

#54     Sep 3, 2010
  5. Well, when you put it like that.:D It has been a long strange trip for sure. For one thing age 33 was better than a quarter century ago, so life happening will test ones beliefs. Secondly, I don't have what you'd call a traditional belief in a Creator. I have no alliance with any organized religion. Lastly, and certainly most importantly, I believe one should keep an open mind. As facts change, a person may find themselves on the wrong side of the argument. To date, the facts haven't really changed for me since my "epiphany".
    All I can say to the atheist is this. If the laws of physics don't require the universe to have a Creator, then applying those same laws of physics means a Creator is not required to have a Creator. If the Universe can "just happen", then so can a Creator. So that answers the question asked by every atheist, where do God come from? God just happened, just like the universe. Round and round we go.

#55     Sep 4, 2010
  6. Well said. And, how can you be certain that no one else has had a personal experience of God?

#56     Sep 4, 2010
  7. jem

jem

Are you jealous that I am not stuck in a troll cave like you? your reaction to the fact I have multiple machines is odd.

I noticed you have never been able to comprehend Susskind so I doubt you understand what I just explained about where Hawkings is likely going.

I noticed you did not back up your statement about the laws of physics.

Is that because you read a press release and realize you can't explain what you wrote?

#57     Sep 4, 2010
  8. I'd say less than a zillionth of 1%.

#58     Sep 5, 2010
  9. byteme

byteme

No, it's odd that you need multiple aliases just because you have multiple machines. Bizarre :confused:

#59     Sep 5, 2010
  10. [​IMG]

#60     Sep 5, 2010