Why arguments and debates about God and religion are fruitless

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Gabfly1, Sep 2, 2010.

1. jem

jem

If he could do that he would get a Nobel prize.

he explains why he hopes science will find reasons it is not designed.

#21     Sep 2, 2010
  2. People can change their mind. I changed from atheist to believer at age 33. What made me change? A personal experience which would not mean a damn thing to anyone but me. I have no proof of a Creator!
    But to your question, does endless discussion on a message board such as this have any impact? Probably not! For those that believe, no further proof is required. For those that don't, no agrument will suffice, but if all it takes is a smart guy in a wheel chair to convince you there is no God, you have nothing more to stand on than some other person who respects the opinion of a Holy man. Personal experiences are the true test, and as our experiences change, so should our opinions.

#22     Sep 2, 2010
  3. jem

jem

So let me review.

arguments are fruitless because...

1. there are uninformed on both sides.
    2. most of the educated seem to not understand science
    3. Few people seem to understand the difference between faith and science.

the logical position is the following.

1. To know there is a God requires faith.
    2. To know there is no God requires faith.

But, if you want to know where science stands right now... there are top scientists who state if there is only one universe -our universe appears designed... (you don't have to believe me, ask top atheist prof and lecturer Dawkins or check out the many links I have provided on other threads)

to counter that conclusion - scientists have faith in a new theory.... the multi universe theory. However at the moment there is no proof of other universes and there may never be.

---

Those facts are difficult of many people of faith and many people of non faith to grasp.

Just go ahead an wait for the atheist et clowns to show up.
    You know who they are.

#23     Sep 2, 2010
  4. how many times are you going to be shot down using this argument before you give up?
    here is the top scientist that you claim supports design.

Physicist Leonard Susskind Rejects Intelligent Design
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDgzRIiQ4b8&p=3DF6C05E71A998D0&playnext=1&index=11

#24     Sep 2, 2010
  5. I'm not saying my education or my point of view is right or wrong. I am simply saying it is possible to change someone's mind on the subject.

Please explain to me the tangible difference between a belief and a feeling.

#25     Sep 2, 2010
  6. Think about it this way, if someone came up to you and started telling you about how UFOs, 2012, big foot, unicorns, fairies, and hob goblins are all completely real, would you not feel a tiny bit intellectually superior to that person? Or would you treat that person as an equally intelligent person?

#26     Sep 2, 2010
  7. jem

jem

you must not understand what he says during the last minute or so.

he says we happen to live in the environment which "looks" intelligently designed.

He proposes there are almost infinite other universes (environments).

that is exactly what I am saying science says.

Our universe looks intelligently designed.
    You can counter that appearance by speculation there are trillons and trillions of other universes or "environments".

do you really need me to give you the quotes again?

#27     Sep 2, 2010
  8. wow you are a piece of work. all you have to do is listen to the video where he says in the first 40 seconds that he does not believe the universe was designed by intelligence.
    has your indoctrination given you a mental block?

#28     Sep 2, 2010
  9. jem

jem

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BoncJBrrdQ8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BoncJBrrdQ8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

#29     Sep 2, 2010
  10. Ricter

Ricter

I feel a nice knee next to mine under the table. I believe it's my wife's knee. The owner informs me it is not!

True story. ; )

#30     Sep 2, 2010