why are traders ugly and fat?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Warrior4g, Jan 3, 2008.

1. I have seen some traders the OP is talking about . You need to take care of yourself for sure. I would say this is poor ethics IMO to bring a topic like this up. Who cares what they look like as long as it's not you?

#31     Jan 3, 2008
  2. LMAO.

That's Artie Lange's head!

Yeah Artie would make a perfect trader-type according to this thread. :D

#32     Jan 3, 2008
  3. The few top of the range ones, the really big constant winners, are mostly well groomed and exercised. No surprise there.

#33     Jan 3, 2008
  4. because aerobic money counting doesn't burn many cals :D

#34     Jan 3, 2008
  5. Why are we fat and ugly?

#1. Because the great-looking, reasonably smart and socially gregarious successful guy to whom money and women come easily would never bother with the risk of ruin trading entails. He's got it made, usually without trying too hard. He may not set the world on fire, but he's got the hot wife, nice house, and near-guaranteed job security that keep him happy, if not slightly trite.

#2. So, what do you do if you are not that guy and you want the same stuff? Get money or power. If you weren't fortunate enough to be born with either, you have to go after it. Politics or trading work. And with sufficient cash, you will certainly attract a certain type of woman who is willing to put up with your... shortcomings. Not that that is a risk-free trade in itself - 50% or more MaxDD possible. You alone can control that risk by prenups or choosing wisely.

#3. Check out old pictures of some of your 'heroes'. Some of them were quite porky/dorky/geeky/zitty when younger. Once a public figure, image consultants come in and rework you. All part of the biz.

Mods, you should move this thread to chit chat.

#35     Jan 3, 2008
  6. [​IMG]

Unless you are all liquid like this....

#36     Jan 3, 2008
  7. That's one of the main reason that anyone is fat.

I agree, it does show a lack of discipline.

I am not sure how the prop thing works, but aren't they pretty regulated as far as risk, etc go? Don't many institutions have discipline "built-in" in the form of managers, etc?

I don't know how it works, that's just what I've heard, so excuse my ignorance.

But if they have someone managing their risk, etc for them, it would probably help explain how they can get away with being fat and lazy without bombing.

itcanbedone- I believe you should look up the definition for deviant before you use my name in vain like that.

#37     Jan 3, 2008
  8. Oh you mean like this?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzToNo7A-94&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzToNo7A-94&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

#38     Jan 3, 2008
  9. you can say the same thing about many professions. in general, americans are just plain fat. it follows that traders who are americans would likely be fat too.

interestingly, have you noticed a lot of physicians are overweight? of all people....

goes to show you that the obesity problem is not of ignorance but of will-power.

#39     Jan 3, 2008
  10. I've seen this in person. A friend in Chicago is a Hedge Fund manager and hes the fittest ~40 year old I've ever seen haha.

#40     Jan 3, 2008