why are there no other brokers compete directly with IB?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by trend2009, Sep 13, 2020.

1. tonyf

tonyf

You may want to look into institutional if you havr more than 1m AUM and pay more than 1k in commission per week.

#51     Sep 20, 2020
  2. d08

d08

Not at that level AUM wise yet. Comms though, I probably qualify.

#52     Sep 20, 2020
  3. mskl

mskl

Yes, IBKR IS the reason I have been successful in this business. I recall having a four digit account number in 1998. This company (in particular: tp) changed my life and I am forever grateful.

It is not as "personal today" as its inevitable that their growth will result in some issues but when you take a step or two back and reflect on what they have accomplished.....well it is incredible. Many of the personnel are still the same (incl Def who I believe has been with IB for over 30 years) and they still care and understand what is important to us traders/investors.

The biggest risk to my business is actually something happening to IBKR (ie tp selling the company- who is 76 this year) and a new ownership group taking it in another direction.

A true pioneer in this industry.

#53     Sep 20, 2020
    qwerty11, Cdntrader, def and 5 others like this.

4. what are you doing that IB is the reason for your success?

#54     Sep 20, 2020
  5. mskl

mskl

Could I make $$ with a different broker today? yes - but a fraction of (maybe 60%??).

It's a combination of many things (access/fees/data/API etc). I'd rather not be too specific but there are a couple things that are very important to my trading that no other broker has.

These things likely don't matter to most.....

#55     Sep 20, 2020
    #56     Sep 20, 2020
  7. mskl

mskl

three data sources

1) Nanex
    2) Thomson Reuters
    3) IBKR

#57     Sep 20, 2020
  8. how long do you hold your option? Till expired?

#58     Sep 21, 2020
  9. mskl

mskl

sometimes till expiry - sometimes for less than 5 seconds

best of luck

#59     Sep 21, 2020
  10. Actually there are many. So I don’t know where you are coming from.

#60     Jan 28, 2021