Why are there no lines outside of Greek and Spanish Banks?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Swan Noir, Jun 9, 2012.

1. they call economics the dismal science, and I see why. Mathmeticians laugh at economists the same way ordinary people with common sense laugh at psychologists. Neither economics or psychology is a true science.

Now, you take a few biology classes at the local univerisity and you learn a few things about how things really work.

The best thing I learned was how ostriches are descendents of dinosaurs. So the dinosaurs never really became extinct, they just evolved into ostriches (which are still alive today, and if you are a good handicapper you can bet on them and make a profit (especially now that I'll Have Another is out of the picture.))

#11     Jun 9, 2012
  2. Yeah ... that sounds like a sound plan!

#12     Jun 9, 2012
  3. yes, but we're very passive, we don't like to actually work for a living

fishing, farming, loving, hunting is more our style,

but thanks so much for all you do

carry on

#13     Jun 9, 2012
  4. That seems a strange conclusion to come to.

Seems more likely that people simply don't see their basic needs going unmet if they can't get cash out of the bank. While that is obviously completely unlike the typical American situation, it is, nevertheless, a good situation to be in.

#14     Jun 9, 2012
  5. yeah really, what are they going to do, put armed guards around every lemon tree? And who's going to pay for that? Armed guards have to eat also. You can keep it going until you can no longer afford to pay the military to help you steal from the poor.

Didn't they already do a documentary on satellite tv on the decline of the mafia?

It was good while it lasted.

#15     Jun 9, 2012
  6. Ed Breen

Ed Breen

Swan Noir, most private Greek money is already out of the banks. More than half of the Greek economy is government and they still keep their funds in the banks. Wealthy Greeks got their money abroad first. Yesterday, I heard of Greek money soliciting private equity for unleveraged placement in U.S. operating businessess, they want to get it out of U.K. Non wealthy Greeks have money in mattressess and have be operating a sub rosa black market economy for some time. Soon, they too will be trying to trade thier euro notes for gold, silver, stones or other foreigh currency, dollars. The reamaining deposits in the Greek system are government related accounts.

#16     Jun 9, 2012
  7. that's what you don't seem to understand. You got the money, we got the goods.

All your theories work just fine as long as we are afraid of you and respect you.

Once you lose our fear and your respect, all you are left with is money.

Like I said, you should spend some time studying biology and you will see how stupid in the long run economics really is.

Wasn't that Keynes famous line when they questioned the long term soundnesss of his ideas?

"Well, in the long run, we'll all be dead."

#17     Jun 10, 2012
  8. Couldn't agree more.

A real iceberg of a statement - ten times as much truth hidden under the surface as is revealed above.

#18     Jun 10, 2012
  9. well, you can thank Old Grand-Dad for that, once I get depressed again I'll start worrying about money again.

But speaking of icebergs, they have a commercial running on CNBC and Bloomberg about a guy who has this idea of towing icebergs to dry land.

I guess it would take a lot of oil, but then again, I'm already paying more for bottled water than I am for gasoline.

#19     Jun 10, 2012
  10. Worry over money? I forgot who said it on here, but it's a simple yet excellent quote. Never worry about things outside of your control.

#20     Jun 10, 2012