Why are the futures selling off right now?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bonds, May 11, 2010.

1. S2007S

S2007S

So the futures are selling off, no big deal, they will pump them up again tomorrow, since the trillion dollar bailout in europe and the trillions spent here to prop up the economy nothing can go wrong, every single time there is a slight fall out here in our economy or somewhere else in the world the only thing they do is fix it with more money and free bailouts. There is no such thing as failure and that is a problem that no one understands.

#11     May 11, 2010
  2. speaking of failure..
    a friend used to work for the BIA on a large reservation in New Mexico..where the SBA handed out loans to any Native American who could fog a mirror.
    Their little business would fail, the SBA would call the loan a
    "grant", and the process would start all over.
    My friend's rhetorical comment was
    "If you're never allowed to fail, how can you ever succeed?"

#12     May 11, 2010
  3. risky63

risky63

your right....
    go and "shoot the dogs w/a 50"
    its actually sad when you see the truth.

#13     May 11, 2010
  4. noddyboy

noddyboy

Already long!!!!!

#14     May 11, 2010
  5. noddyboy

noddyboy

I am not quite sure what to make of your comments while i agree in part it just doesn't lead to any trade except long gold.

#15     May 11, 2010
  6. S2007S

S2007S

I have been bullish on gold since $450, I bought GLD way back when and sold it off well before it even went to $600.

Gold is still cheap in my opinion. My price predictions from 2009 still remain,

$1500 by 2010

$2000 by 2011

S2007S

10-07-09 11:12 AM

Price predictions:

1200 by end of 2009

1500 mid 2010

2000+ by 2011

#16     May 11, 2010
  7. businessstaxes

businessstaxes Guest

gold is not CHEAP okay

an ounce is $1200! gold was $800/ounce in 1980. so 25 years it hasn't even beat inflation.

how much is a tonne of gold?

reason gold is at this price is that investors are selling currencies like US and euro any currrency and putting in gold for protection against possible worthless currencies and temporary storage of value. it's an hard asset. and is NOT cheap by any means. it cost more to produce and find gold than it is to buy it. the problem with gold is that there is lots of paper gold and most of the gold is never delivered. it stays in the bank vaults.

#17     May 11, 2010
  8. by historical standards, the real price (not nominal) of gold is actually a lot lower now then the high in 1980. According to active trader magazine, using the CPI as an index the price of gold hit roughly over 2,200 dollars. Even if you want to argue that the CPI is not the best indicator, on any inflation adjusted index we can safely say that gold in 1980 was worth A LOT more then it is now.

#18     May 11, 2010
  9. Doesn't the fact that it is cheaper to buy right now rather than find and produce mean that it is in fact a cheap asset??? You've contradicted yourself here.

#19     May 11, 2010
  10. By Myra P. Saefong TOKYO (MarketWatch) -- U.S. Federal prosecutors are looking into whether Morgan Stanley misled investors about mortgage-derivatives deals it helped design and sometimes bet against, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday, citing people familiar with the matter. The brokerage arranged and marketed pools of bond-related investments referred to as "collateralized debt obligations," or CDOs -- and traders said Morgan Stanley's trading desk sometimes placed bets that their value would fall, the report said. Investigators are examining whether Morgan Stanley made proper representations about its roles.

#20     May 12, 2010