Why are the Dow Future 100 Points below Cash Market?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by BlueStreek, Mar 31, 2009.

1. No.

#11     Mar 31, 2009
  2. Surdo

Surdo

I was hanging out in King Tut's Wah Wah Hut and The Pyramid...
    After hours was Save the Robots!

#12     Mar 31, 2009
  3. I was jumping bikes off of plywood ramps proped up by stacks of car tires in '87.

What happened with futures v. spot back then?

#13     Mar 31, 2009
  4. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

Similar to now or worse?

Maybe the Conficker worm is coming?

#14     Mar 31, 2009
  5. The S&P was trading at a 45 handle discount on the Thursday after The Crash when George Soros puked 5,000 S&P's off the opening because he got nervous due to the Dollar's action.

There were literally no bids off the opening, and the few that were there were "hit" even before the opening bell rang . . . I believe that Soros wound up suing Lehman at the time because he felt that his order to dump was "disclosed" by the clerks.

I came in LONG a 1-lot that was had been "in the money" by a handle from the previous day. I couldn't find a bid off the opening (most of the opening bids had already been "cuffed" by brokers and their "bag" men) and I finally puked it about 10 minutes into the session. - - - Spent the rest of the day making the money back and being up a couple of grand by the end of the day.

Talk about volatility!
    Those were the days.
    :D

#15     Mar 31, 2009
  6. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

No limits or breakers back then?

#16     Mar 31, 2009
  7. u mean the cash was 45 pts premium to the futures BEFORE the crash?
    or after?
    What is so strange about today's action aside from the afterhours shenanigans?

#17     Mar 31, 2009
  8. The 45 point discount occured 3 days after the Monday Crash.

My guess is that today's after hours activity has something to do with the quarterly expiration of some SPX options.

Someone may have been "put" some stock at the 800 level and they sold futures to hedge.

Just a guess.

#18     Mar 31, 2009
  9. buy all the dips. Futures recovering form this dip because Asian markets are surging. Expect European markets to surge, too. Then the futures will turn green for another big rally tomorrow.

#19     Mar 31, 2009
  10. If there are any new people on ET, this person's advise is akin to the black plague; do the opposite of what he says.

He is a 14 year old paper trading from his computer science lab at school, who's lost 90% of his monopoly money.

stock_turd3r: [​IMG]

Werd.

#20     Mar 31, 2009