Why are quants afraid of Mark Jurik?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by kut2k2, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluelou

bluelou

I think Dinn13 and LeeD are generally correct. I'm not on these sites very often but I'll use NP, and some of the R blogs on occasion for quant-related questions or just to see what the current topics are. There are some systematic guys on those sites but it's not a community that shares much info, at least not in public posts.

I use ET, too, to see what people think of different brokers and if there are any new software tools/platforms out there. But, I've never thought of ET as quant. If I'm really bored or waiting for some tests to run (like now) I'll even check out the T/A forum here - but that's just for entertainment.

#41     Nov 15, 2010
  2. kut2k2

kut2k2

Did you notice how all his percentages are "fibonacci ratios" (i.e., golden ratio numbers)? That imbecile puts down TA while worshipping at the altar of Fibonacci. :D

Perhaps you didn't thoroughly read the original post. In a thread called smoothing algorithms, there were 50 replies. Obviously the responders were interested in the topic, but not one of them acknowledged the OP's query about the Jurik moving average. Now maybe quants aren't "afraid" of Jurik (pardon my irreverence) but I've never seen them do more than acknowledge the existence of adaptive moving averages, blackbox or open. Nobody there seems to acknowledge the value they can bring to time-series analyses.

On the other hand they give a lot of attention to Kalman filters, which only work on stationary time series.

#42     Nov 15, 2010
  3. I don't know of any traders or quants that fear any indicators - LOL.

The only "fear" I have is that my edge will disappear or diminish to the point of being useless. I work on that one just about every day .

#43     Nov 15, 2010
  4. bluelou

bluelou

There are quants that use smoothing filters, but they're often using wavelets, not some proprietary stuff called Jurik. There's a whole body of academic research on wavelet applications to econometrics and finance. Also, there are many paths from which to create custom wavelet filters. It's unlikely that any pro is using these filters for TA indicators. Jurik is for retail punters. That's it. End of story.

#44     Nov 15, 2010
  5. kut2k2

kut2k2

And wavelets are just for smoothing past data. It's unlikely any pro is using them for trading. Wavelets are for research punters. That's it. End of story.

#45     Nov 15, 2010
  6. bluelou

bluelou

Doh! No, they use them to filter future data because quants are magic.

#46     Nov 15, 2010
  7. kut2k2

kut2k2

Yeah, well, traders aren't magic, traders are real and our goal is to filter present data and (perhaps) predict future data. Filtering the past is a waste of our time. That's an activity for academics, not for traders.

#47     Nov 15, 2010
  8. bluelou

bluelou

You don't know what you're talking about. Wavelets have been used in real-time data filtering for at least 8-10 years.

#48     Nov 15, 2010
  9. I didn't make either of those claims. Your reading comprehension is even worse than your math ability.

Over and out.

#49     Nov 16, 2010
  10. hahahaha....the idiot kut2k2 strikes again. You do not even understand the concept of mean zero return. Fib numbers were around idiot long before stupid cranks like you used them for technical analysis along with smoothed moving averages. You loser...

Aren't you the idiot who confuses the number of balls in a probability experiment with the number of trials?

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2988173&

Aren't you the same guy who substitutes math variables for whatever he wants because they are just symbols, right?

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2987069

Aren't you the guy who thinks the expected value is calculated based on a number of trials equal to the number of balls in a box?

I have told you to carefully read this. It describes you perfectly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

Idiot...

#50     Nov 16, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.