Why are people on ET so against a decent minimum wage

Discussion in 'Economics' started by jwecme, Dec 4, 2007.

1. GTG

GTG

Setting the minimum wage to 10 bucks an hour means that everyone who's labor is worth less than 10 bucks an hour has to become unemployed. I'm opposed to minimum wage because it hurts the poorest and least skilled workers.

Here's an example: I used to be acquainted with a guy who owns some fast-food franchises. Several of his restaurants were open very late at night, prior to our state significantly raising it's minimum wage. After the minimum wage increase, he had to cut back the hours on most of his restaurants that were open late at night. The restaurants were simply not profitable during the late-night shifts at the higher minimum wage. So all of his late-night employees got their hours cut back or lost their jobs.

#11     Dec 4, 2007
  2. jwecme

jwecme

You guys need Ron Paul that guy talks so much sense on many issues I don't agree with everything he says but a lot of it is very refreshing to hear.

#12     Dec 4, 2007
  3. EricP

EricP

Wow, you sounds like an idealistic college student that doesn't have much experience or knowledge of the world (no offense).

It's a good thing Churchill didn't share your views, or you'd be speaking German.

#13     Dec 4, 2007
  4. empee

empee

Because here in the US we hate our neighbors and want to win at all costs.

We judge each other by the things we have rather than the relationships we keep.

Thats also why we progress so much faster than the rest of the world, because we're never happy and now we're paranoid too :)

#14     Dec 4, 2007
  5. jwecme

jwecme

Your funny that was good, made me laugh anyway I guess you cannot have everything!

#15     Dec 4, 2007
  6. tyler19

tyler19

Don't mix your Minimum Wage Rhetoric with Ron Paul's message.

#16     Dec 4, 2007
  7. Actually, and unfortunately, war is very good for the economy. Look how well America did after WW II and the recent run up in the stock market, albeit on a weaker currency, since the beginning of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I am will you though. I think that decent minimum wage and health benefits should be a minimum, but I have a background in social work. Most ppl. trade because they believe in the free hand of the market, whether that be good or bad. You have a bias that you grew up in a country with a lot of socialized programs so you see the benefits, just like I have a bias that I did social work. Many whom trade believe strongly, and so do I, that the US is one of the best countries to be an entrepreneur, whether that be day trader or small business owner. Europe is better for employees and America is better for business owners. My 2 cents worth :cool:

#17     Dec 4, 2007
  8. jwecme

jwecme

I do not see them as mutually exclusive, too many people think as a conservative or liberal. It is best to make your mind up on the issues as they present themselves.

#18     Dec 4, 2007
  9. I am troubled by the attitude of a country who has little remembrance who bailed out their ass in WW2 and assisted in WW1. Do you have a clue how much money the USA poured into Europe both durnig and after the war??? Read up on the Marshall Plan. Do you know how many US ships were sunk bu U-boats resupplying England, who was about to go down? How many men died? According to Jane's Fighting Ships, the USA caused the loss of over 95% of the Japanese fleet which was sunk. England did about 2-3%.

Would you have preferred we sat over here and waited to see who won?

Maybe if we had a higher minimum wage, Americans would have stayed out of the military and not died on European soil.

Perhaps you would be the envy of the world, now living under fascism...

#19     Dec 4, 2007
  10. jwecme

jwecme

I think your getting a bit off the topic. I am trying to make a sensible discussion with an outsiders opinion, which can often be useful and create debate.

#20     Dec 4, 2007