Why and How people can be tricked: Confidence trick

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by OddTrader, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Obviously I am not a good lier! I meant, this time! :D

#11     Jun 17, 2009
  2. just believe in jezus and when you die you will go to a place where the streets are paved in gold. by the way you must give me 10% of your earnings so i can insure your trip.

"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history. "Robert Heinlein

#12     Jun 17, 2009
  3. "Pastors and Chief Executives of banks are said to be most notorious in the current strange rush to acquire private jets. ...

There are certain gifts a man of God should not receive, even if the private jet is a gift from a member or members of the congregation. For a corporate CEO, the question to ask is how much his or her company has paid as taxes or contributed to society. Such companies must present their books for scrutiny.

It is strange that bank chief executives in particular, are opting for private jets when their banks are going through a season of uncertainty. For all classes of people concerned, it is an unjustifiable display of wealth and ostentation. Such funds expended on loud acquisition of luxury items could have been better spent on acts of philanthropy. Unfortunately, many rich Nigerians have not learnt to give to the same country where they made their fortunes. The Inland Revenue Service must intervene by checking if the private jet owners pay their taxes regularly.

More importantly, Government has a duty to monitor elected political officer holders in particular who may be tempted to loot the treasury and launder the money to acquire high-taste luxury items. Business executives who live flamboyantly are bound to invite queries about the source of their wealth. Religious leaders who seem to place an unusual emphasis on luxury and worldly items generate controversies, if not doubts about the doctrines that they espouse. For both private jet-riding CEOs and Pastors, however, modesty should be their watch word. Conspicuous consumption of any sort in either the public or private sector, should compel the anti-corruption agencies to become more vigilant."

http://www.championsfornigeria.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=313&Itemid=35

#13     Jun 17, 2009
    #14     Jun 17, 2009
    #15     Jun 17, 2009
  6. "An advance-fee fraud is a confidence trick in which the target is persuaded to advance sums of money in the hope of realizing a significantly larger gain.[1] Among the variations on this type of scam, are the Nigerian Letter (also called the 419 fraud, Nigerian scam, Nigerian bank scam, or Nigerian money offer[2]),[3] the Spanish Prisoner, the Black money scam as well as Russian/Ukrainian scam (also extremely widespread, though far less popular than the former). Both the so-called Russian and Nigerian scams stand for wholly dissimilar organised crime traditions, they therefore tend to use altogether different breeds of approaches."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_fee_fraud

#16     Jun 17, 2009
  7. here is one that is going around on craigs list. they advertise something at a very cheap price. then they want you to send money and they will ship it to you for free. here is one i ran across this week. i saw an add on craigslist that was half of what this machine should be worth and when i emailed him here is what i got back.

RE..Good Condition 2003 Bobcat S-250 skid loader skid steer S250 Only 2019 hrs

The bobcat is already at a shipping company here in Las Vegas, NV. I took the bobcat to them to be able to ship it to a potential buyer whilst I'm out of town. My brother in law works there, and he promised me that it will cost me nothing to ship it in the US. I also have the bobcat listed on eBay View item and that lets me use their secured system. I'm very busy with my job and I'm sorry I can't meet you in person.

So if you really want it click on Buy it now on eBay and after you complete the payment let me to know your full name and the shipping address where to send the bobcat. After you'll receive the bobcat,you have 2 days to test and if you decide to keep it eBay will release me the money.If the bobcat is NOT like in the photos or description they will refund your money and the shipping company will take the bobcat back on my expense and keep it until I find a new buyer.

Let me know,

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi ,
    I want to tell you that the bobcat is still for sale, like new,never damaged, fully loaded, first owner, and comes with a clear title. It is in perfect shape. It has no scratches and it was never involved in an accident or something like that. It has 2019 hours.
    Here are some more pics

. The title is clear and on my name. I am forced to sell quickly because I need money to pay the mortgage on my house. My final
    price is $ 4.800. I already has tons of emails so I hope you understand that I need to sort them out. I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the bobcat, to be sure that I don't waste my time with endless discussions. This way, I shall be assuredof the serious intentions.

Thank you.

P.S. If you are decided to buy it now, I will make a private auction just for you on eBay so you can purchase it there. That way you will receive assistance for the purchase, paperwork, title transfer and an extended warranty. They also are guaranteeing purchases up to $ 10.000 so we will both be protected.

#17     Jun 17, 2009
  8. There was a news that when a well-educated son reminded her well-educated mother she should stop sending again and again further more money to a clearly Nigerian scam, the mother said to him, "You're just Jealous for not having this golden opportunity like I do. I'll prove to you later you're very wrong indeed." :D

I can't find the article from Google yet.

#18     Jun 17, 2009
    #19     Jun 17, 2009
  10. http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/sex/a/gold_digger.htm

Q
    THIS APPEARED ON CRAIG'S LIST

What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I'm tired of beating around the bush. I'm a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I'm articulate and classy. I'm not from New York. I'm looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City , so I don't think I'm overreaching at all.

Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a business man who makes average around 100 - 150. But that's where I seem to hit a roadblock. 150,000 won't get me to central park west. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she's not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? How do I get to her level?

Here are my questions specifically:

- Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics- bars, restaurants, gyms

-What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won't hurt my feelings

-Is there an age range I should be targeting (I'm 25)?

- Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the upper east side so plain? I've seen really 'plain jane' boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I've seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the east village. What's the story there?

- Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows - lawyer, investment banker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do they hang out? Where do the hedge fund guys hang out?

- How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY

Please hold your insults - I'm putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I'm being up front about it. I wouldn't be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn't able to match them - in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth.

THE ANSWER

Dear Pers-:

I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament. Firstly, I'm not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here's how I see it.

Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a crappy business deal. Here's why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity...in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't be getting any more beautiful!

So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you!

So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold...hence the rub...marriage. It doesn't make good business sense to "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease. In case you think I'm being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It's as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.

Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as "articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful" as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard tobelieve that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500K hasn't found you, if not only for a tryout.

By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldn't need to have this difficult conversation.

With all that said, I must say you're going about it the right way. Classic "pump and dump."
    I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know.

277 Park Avenue, 16/F, New York , NY 10172

Comments: Craigslist is a popular online classified advertising site which also happens to attract its share of pranksters and hoaxers, so the authenticity of the above exchange, which commenced with the "What am I doing wrong?" posting on September 25, 2007, has been questioned right along.

"It does look as if the post was made sincerely," a Craigslist spokesperson told the New York Times two weeks after it first appeared. But reporters' queries to the anonymous poster's mailbox have gone unanswered, and -- to no one's surprise, really -- she(?) has not stepped forward to claim authorship.

UQ
    :D

#20     Jun 18, 2009