Why America couldn't even spend the economic stimulus package?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by crgarcia, Feb 23, 2010.

1. #21     Feb 23, 2010
  2. jd7419

jd7419

Do you own the company or work for it? What project, building or area if you don't mind?

#22     Feb 23, 2010
  3. S2007S

S2007S

nice find...

These are the projects that are just given to city and state employees to keep busy for the time being.

These jobs serve no real benefit to future growth in the economy moving further, the economy doesnt get stronger with trillions in stimulus building new bike trails and parks.

#23     Feb 24, 2010
  4. What a waste of money.

Here is the best part - "The most expensive path is a 2,000-foot boardwalk to be built for $10.6 million along the east bank of the Schuylkill from the end of a current trail at Locust Street to South Street. Construction could begin in a few months."

$5300 a foot to build a boardwalk ??? No wonder this country is bankrupt. The future is here right now and bankrupt.

#24     Feb 24, 2010
  5. There are endless projects in my industry that will have to be done one way or another over the next fews years because they've been put off so long. As is normally the case you are clueless.

#25     Feb 24, 2010
  6. I'm a part owner. The project is for a local housing authority. This monet represents about 15% of the biz we have lined up for the year. There are more projects going out for bid than I've ever seen. I'm shocked at all the work thats out there. It will be our best year ever by 2-3x.

#26     Feb 24, 2010
  7. You are such a babe in the woods I almost feel sorry for you. My HS daughter has a better understanding of how the world works than you do.

Gov't never gets smaller. Washington will keep bailing out the states and taxpayers on a national level will foot the bills. A few may get laid off but not enough to matter. Watch and learn.

#27     Feb 24, 2010
  8. ashatet

ashatet

I live in Chicago suburbs. I was told that in one of rich suburbs, contractors charge close to $1000 to put a stop sign. Now that sign has probably $10 of metal in it and $5 of Paint. Rest is insurance and Union and city workers working at the special Union and City wages. Then there are insurance at every step you take.

I am not surprised at $5300 a foot for boardwalk.

#28     Feb 24, 2010
  9. ashatet

ashatet

I agree with you. The only way out for the common folk is to stop spending on anything except what is 100% essential.

With that money saved, we should finance the comfortable retirement of the city officials.

#29     Feb 24, 2010

10. This is the only (sad) explanation.
    Too bad.

They could build superhighways, and generate jobs on almost-deserted towns, as to "improve rural areas".

Keynesianism works best when its not needed, somewhat "wasteful", of course its not a waste as it creates jobs.

#30     Feb 24, 2010