Why actively trade ETFs?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by deronwagner, Aug 22, 2002.

1. If no prop firms, what are some of the better retail firms for trading the futures and what type of commish and capital contribution do they require? I assume payout is 100% since its your money.

#31     Aug 24, 2002
  2. ubiquity

ubiquity

for those that daytrade qqq and spy, why have you decided to trade the etfs and not the e-mini s&p/nasdaq? you are giving up the tax advantages of the e-mini's 60/40 treatment (60% of gains taxed at 20% and 40% at your normal short-term tax rate).

#32     Aug 24, 2002
  3. Looking forward to the routing article.

#33     Aug 24, 2002
  4. ubiquity

ubiquity

here are two simple examples using 2001 tax rates and assuming single filing status:

you have $75,000 of taxable income:

etf: you pay $17,535 in taxes for a rate of 23.38%

e-mini: you pay $13,876 in taxes for a rate of 18.50%

SAVINGS: $3,659

you have $200,000 of taxable income:

etf: you pay $54,814.75 in taxes for a rate of 29.41%

e-mini: you pay $43,060 in taxes for a rate of 21.53%

SAVINGS: $15,754.75

#34     Aug 24, 2002
  5. deron r u still a minor? u look soo young to be so smart

#35     Aug 25, 2002
  6. Trader 963,

I guess I will take that age comment as a compliment! I'm actually knocking on 30, but just have a baby face I guess.

:D

I will post the ETF order routing article tomorrow. . still working on it.

#36     Aug 25, 2002
  7. Ubiquity,

While I can't speak for anyone else, I personally prefer trading ETFs over futures because I have more options with the quantity of trading vehicles available. There are many days when the S&P and Nasdaq indexes are choppy and in a tight trading range. However, there are often a few industry specific sectors that are trending nicely, despite the lack of direction in the overall broad market. By trading the respective ETF of that sector, I have more options available with less risk than trading the individual equities. It's just what works for me and our subscribers.

Futures trading is quite popular now and many traders love it. If it works for you, then by all means, stick to it!

#37     Aug 25, 2002
  8. I totally agree with you! SMH is one of my favorite ETFs to trade. It's great for days when you know the SOX is moving, but are not sure of which one to be in. It reduces your overall risk and trends better than an individual stock. I also like trading BBH and OIH. Traded SWH short on Friday and that worked out nicely too.

#38     Aug 25, 2002
  9. Ed,

Basket trading is what I used to exclusively do before ETFs hit the scene. I have since moved away from doing that and gotten into trading the ETF HOLDR instead because it is much easier to manage just one position than a whole basket of them. However, the way Fidelity is doing it sounds pretty good! They are basically allowing you to create a synthetic stock or custom ETF. Just be careful with customizing your own basket because I think the most important thing would be to have the same or similar allocation to what everyone else is watching, including the ETF arbitragers. Otherwise, your percentage moves might not be as solid.

#39     Aug 25, 2002
  10. deron,

when do the cows come home?

#40     Aug 25, 2002