Wht do I keep blowing fuse?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kpatter, Mar 13, 2011.

1. ammo

ammo

have your electrician tie a #10 wire to your #14 and pullit back from the room to the circuit panel,pull your 15 amp breaker and replace it with a 30 amp, replace room sockets with 20 amp,only problem would be how many wires are sharing that conduit pipe and will he be able to pull it thru

#11     Mar 14, 2011
  2. CONDUIT? We have to remember Murphy's law, that wire is probably nailed to a stud every 2 feet! :mad:

#12     Mar 14, 2011
  3. ammo

ammo

i'm from iowa, living in chicago,iowa has the romex,chicago has conduit,i don't know what he has

#13     Mar 14, 2011
  4. I'm finding this trader's dilemma very interesting, and I'm glad it's NOT me. I think Slave2Market has a great troubleshooting idea by quickly eliminating the possibility of a faulty UPS box/boxes.

As Bolimomo questioned, the numbers don't add up. If Watts=amps x volts, then on paper a 15 amp breaker X 120 volts should TRIP @ 1800 watts

I have an APC RS 1500 UPS and it has a display screen on the front that shows how much load is being drawn. I just built a new computer and wanted to test a few things anyway, so today I put my AMD six core thru a benchmark test and kept an eye on the amount of current my computer and 4 monitors pulled. I was very surprised that the MAXIMUM DRAW was 254 watts. Using the equation above my amperage draw is 2.1 amps.

During this test I also had the RS 1500 plugged into my Kill-A-Watt meter and as best I could, checked amp and watt usage during the tests. Since this meter is reading the draw on BOTH the UPS and the computer/monitors I excepted higher readings. The HIGHEST reading I registered on the Kill-A-Watt meter was 3.04 amps or 365 watts (@ 120 volts per the equation).

I sure hope kpatter follows up and posts the outcome to his situation, no matter how embarrassing. :eek:

http://www.meritline.com/apc-back-u...br1500lcd-retail---p-38967.aspx?source=fghdac

#14     Mar 14, 2011
  5. Banjo

Banjo

Breakers go bad. Replace it.

#15     Mar 14, 2011
  6. The wattage just didn't seem to add up. 2 desktops, 4 monitors, assuming no other high-amp appliances involved, shouldn't come close to 1800W.

#16     Mar 15, 2011
  7. ammo

ammo

flip the breaker and see what else goes out, a bathroom socket for the hair dryer, the fridge,, the furnace the microwave,4 big draws,anyone of these on the same circuit

#17     Mar 15, 2011