Who's sick of getting near 0% interest on uninvested cash?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by jackpearson, Apr 10, 2011.

1. cvds16

cvds16

it's called an economic cycle, it used to be 12% in the eighties in the US, it's been so low for ages in Japan; get out more and have some historic perspective instead !

#11     Apr 11, 2011
  2. MKTrader

MKTrader

Uh, years of zero interest rates are about as artificial and abnormal as bi-weekly black swans. Perhaps you should research cycles more.

#12     Apr 11, 2011
  3. cvds16

cvds16

LMAO: just look at Japan, it's been going on for a decade there, so spare me your bullshit !

#13     Apr 11, 2011
  4. Funny how the f'd up Japanese "solution" to their busted bubble is now cited by these assholes who love to defend ZIRP.

"It is what it is", anybody who I come across who uses that phrase is a bonafide jerkoff without fail.

#14     Apr 11, 2011
  5. I don't know if what we've experienced over the last several years is really cyclical. Is intervention/manipulation by The Powers a "cyclical" phenomenon?

Or have economic/market cycles been replaced by "money pump bubble until it bursts, crash, then money pump again"...?

#15     Apr 11, 2011
  6. Exactly, cycles are one thing, but the arrogance of policy makers is another thing altogether. I'd argue it has a great deal more to do with generational attitudes towards policy response.

It's become crystal clear that every financial "event" is met with more intervention, until finally there is very little natural price discovery and a heckuva lot of gaming and/or front running the implied moral hazard machinations.

#16     Apr 11, 2011
  7. MKTrader

MKTrader

Right, that’s my point. Sure, there are long-term cycles in stock prices, rates, commodities, etc. (Whether you can find turning points or trade them profitably is another discussion.)

However, years (or decades in Japan’s case) of zero interest rates are unprecedented. It’s not some phenomenon caused by market forces that’s part of a natural cycle. Granted, long-term cycles will overwhelm manipulation at some point and take rates higher, but what we’ve experienced in recent years isn’t normal at all.

#17     Apr 11, 2011
  8. It is effectively a 100% tax on savings courtesy of the Federal Reserve.

#18     Apr 11, 2011
  9. Crispy

Crispy

May 16th people.

You know what they say. "be careful what you wish for, you may just get it"

#19     Apr 11, 2011
  10. Roark

Roark

What happens on May 16? FOMC meeting?

#20     Apr 11, 2011