Who's making a living day trading futures?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by peppermint, Feb 11, 2009.

1. volente_00

volente_00

The first clue was calling dorman a large fcm when my money is currently parked at an fcm that is 16 times bigger.

#41     Feb 12, 2009
  2. honestly, that is quite awesome and impressive to me...may I ask...what contracts? ES, NQ, CL?..great trading

#42     Feb 12, 2009
  3. does that mean CME globex currencies?

#43     Feb 12, 2009
  4. have you blown your account before?how many trades per day?

#44     Feb 12, 2009
  5. this is a total joke...correct?

#45     Feb 12, 2009
  6. Cutten

Cutten

About half my profits come from intraday futures trading.

#46     Feb 12, 2009
  7. and the other...forex?right?

#47     Feb 12, 2009
  8. gearhead

gearhead

That's right...I'm strictly a futures trader (e.g., no spot forex)

#48     Feb 12, 2009
  9. gearhead

gearhead

I took some pretty severe (50%+) drawdowns in some of the early days. For my money, that's blowing out an account. At this point, my trading account is usually 100-200k...if it gets bigger, I pull cash out. I typically bank roughly 1/2 of my monthly profits at the end of the month...keeps me from getting too confident and doing stupid things. A busy day might be 20 trades (sometimes the positions are one contract, sometimes larger depending on the instrument, volatility, and market behavior), but fewer is more typical. For the week so far it looks like I've made about 20 trades -- so about 4 per day. I don't trade every day (more specifically, there are days when I don't see trades that work for my system, and I may not enter or exit positions on those days.) I'm not opposed to swing trades or holding positions overnight...again, it depends on the market.

#49     Feb 12, 2009
  10. that is awesome...thanks for replying...what % is ES and what % other currencies?

#50     Feb 12, 2009