Who's from Chicago?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by WDGann, Mar 22, 2003.

1. I lived down in River North from 1998-2000...Properties took a slight hit during that "Asian Contagion" in the fall of that year, but then began their climb again over the next two years...I moved out of the city in 2000, but go back frequently and was really amazed at the development along Kingbury about a block north of East Bank Club...the number of high rise condo developments, in and around the Erie Cafe, is insane...Back when I first used to go over there to eat in 1997, there was NOTHING there...Now, here we are third year in a bear market and that whole area is so over developed...The area up on Halsted north of Division was in the works for years, so that never really surprised me...But the rapid development in the past 5 years around the city is nothing like I have ever seen...

#51     Apr 3, 2003
  2. I've seen condos going for 400k that were less than 200k only 2 years ago near the loop.

And near north side with a view of the lake, condos are approaching 600k. Incredible!

#52     Apr 3, 2003
  3. Sounds like San Francisco which is one reason why I don't live there anymore.

Cal has real estate bubbles every now and then where prices go ridiculous, and then fall back for awhile. Sounds like you guys may be having something similar.

Jay

#53     Apr 3, 2003
  4. nitro

nitro

There is a clear seperation between the two. If it were not for some "contracts" the public housing has with the city, those rat holes would be gone by now (and the ones on Diversey near Elston.)

nitro

#54     Apr 3, 2003
  5. nitro

nitro

#55     Apr 3, 2003
  6. I'd heard they'd taken down most of the big housing projects on the South side but I couldn't remember which ones (Robert Taylor, Cabrini Greens, etc). BTW, I no longer live around Chicago (but I miss the area).

#56     Apr 3, 2003
  7. Not only on the south side, but the near west also. The city (near downtown) is morphing into a whole new redevelopment thing. I own a few buildings on the near north as well as a few vacant lots.

I have had great appreciation in the values for the past nine years. I had two eight unit condo buildings constructed as well as a five story multi-unit property too. Real estate has been very, very good to me. :)

#57     Apr 3, 2003
  8. nitro

nitro

wtg!

I got my trading stake from doing a 6 unit condo conversion of a building we bought for that purpose.

nitro

#58     Apr 6, 2003
  9. The real estate has provided working capital for the trading, the computer business and the thoroughbred handicapping venture also. Now they are all standalone profitable ventures and they allow me plenty of leisure time. :)

#59     Apr 7, 2003
  10. nitro

nitro

Dude,

I don't care if you make millions trading, or tens of millions in real estate, but, I GOTTA SEE THAT HORSE HANDICAPPING SYSTEM!

nitro :cool:

#60     Apr 7, 2003