Who's fading this move up?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by scriabinop23, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Cutten

Cutten

Or we could test 1075 for the same reasons. Best to plan for both scenarios rather than betting all on black with no back-up contingencies in case you are wrong.

#31     Oct 20, 2008

2. I agree with you, but everytime I do what you do lately I lose my ass (long LEH, long market, etc)...

I hope you are doing better with your (our) ideas than I have been. What seems to make sense has no bearing on what will happen on a short term basis.
    :(

#32     Oct 20, 2008

3. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122418087182841401.html

Says that 100 Billion have been redeemed and there is 400 billion to go. Don't know how they got the 400 billion number. How would they know? There are many conflicting reports. I read 43 billion in the last quarter in one article.

Can I get your opinion on this? Is it just bullshit.

#33     Oct 20, 2008
  4. Bear markets can take some time to play out.
    We will retest lows.
    The economy has been and is going into a further decline recession.

Coming QTR's will show increasing unemployment, companies struggling to survive(GM, many more financials & banks, etc), declining earnings for 4th QTR and 1ST QTR 09 at least.

Market will retest lows. We are in a bear market rally.

Trade it accordingly.

Happy Trades!
    1flyfisher :D

#34     Oct 20, 2008
  5. Corelio

Corelio

I would suggest some Monte Carlo modeling to determine probabilities of touching certain price strikes before/ or at expiration before selling naked puts in this environment.

#35     Oct 20, 2008
  6. Rocko1

Rocko1

Hate to tell ya, numerical methods are over rated in finance.

#36     Oct 20, 2008
  7. Here's what I did.

On the day we had the rally to 1065, I sold a 1000 put for 12 (when S&P was at 1050 or so) for Oct 17 expire (a few days...). Lets just say S&P was at 860 a day or so later. I bailed around 940 and converted the position into a long call and managed to reduce the loss a little. My thought was that we'd probably bounce around 1000 give or take a little at worst, considering what had happened post that weekend.

Logic (err gambling?) doesn't reward so easily near term. (the logic/gamble being that S&P vol wouldn't get back to the mid 70s)

#37     Oct 20, 2008
  8. Neodude

Neodude

Hedge Fund redemptions are an excellent case for an unsustainable rally. I work in the industry and over the last few months I have been seeing the largest number of fund closures ever. In itself this would suggest a bottom, however many of these funds are in the billions of dollars and it will take them time to sell off positions in an orderly manner. When you hear about Citadel being in trouble you should take notice. The next bulk of redemption notices will come Jan 1, due to the fact that investors usually have quarterly redemption schedules and have to provide 45 days notice.

Beside hedge fund redemptions there is a massive deleveraging going on everywhere. This includes institutions and consumers. Unless Uncle Sam can reflate the credit bubble Americans will have to go from being net creditors to net savers, this does not bode well for our keynesian driven economy that relies on spending.

I can't predict where the rally will top off, but I just don't see what will sustain it. How many value investors beside Buffet have been waiting on the sidelines? I hope I'm wrong, but I think the way up will be long and painful. After all we have all those baby boomers who are retiring. They have been hit hard on equities, bonds, commodities and real estate, now they just want to protect what little net worth they have left...

Maybe Asian investors will take over, but alas they too have lost about half their market value since the top.

-Neo

#38     Oct 20, 2008
  9. Buffet has not entirely timed this well.

http://www.futureblind.com/2008/03/berkshire-part-2-selling-puts/

He's long the market big time from much higher levels....

#39     Oct 20, 2008
  10. we are probably going to keep going up because i covered my longs. :(

#40     Oct 20, 2008