Who's Bearish?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by The Answer, May 7, 2003.

1. I personally do not follow tech stocks, so I don't know, but gut feel is that it was massive short covering. I know of 2 good hedgies who were short into the number. They both agree that the number was ehh... maybe a bit better than expected, but nothing much. Besides, the stock is super expensive. They are also not giving future guidance.

I think the shorts panicked again here too.

#41     May 10, 2003
  2. First good ET thread in a while. Thanx guys. I have thought about this. I have thought about it a lot. I am still about 80% long. But the longs are mostly gold stocks and foreign ADRs (playing the dollar weakness). I personally think we are headed lower in the long term. In the near term, I'm a bit more agnostic. I intend to keep tight stops on my short positions with the exception of my puts.

A favorite indicator of mine is my own trading win/loss ratio. I have only had 2 profitable days in the past 12 days. That is something to think about. My strategies work best in a market with a slight upside bias. In the past, my strategies have always stopped working about a week or two before the top. I don't think that this has anything to do with poor trading on my own part. I am trading well lately. I only am down about 3% this month too. Just getting chopped around.

#42     May 10, 2003
  3. hey guys larry livingston is back cause once again i can not believe the ignorance on this site and it reminds me of where my money comes from...number one as far as the technical chart posted its amazing that u guys see a bearish chart...yes that does look like a five year head and shoulders but u have to look at chart multi-dimensionally(is that a word) not in a vacuum...from head top of the head to the bottom of the shoulders was like 600 points(and another 600 points leading up to the head and shoulders on this chart) now when the neckline was broken in a true head and shoulders the initial drop should have been much more violent...now some may argue its retesting and then dropping(which also can happen) but given world conditions when the neckline was broken a true technical/fundamental analyst should recognize zero conviction on the sellers part and slow accumulation of real buyer and short covering...its funny you guys sound like the bulls at nasdaq 5000 you get so use to a trend that u forget to READ THE TAPE of the market and see whats really going on...now what happens from here? well yet again u guys hand me easy money since you have only studied the OBVIOUS in the market(wow how i crave you market cliches)...anyway im sure none of you have studied what happens in a FAILED head and shoulders so i will give you the answer--a VIOLENT REACTION to the upside as the slow buyers become more agressive and as new buyer begin to chase the market and of course the trustee short seller who scramble in disbelief...if your 100% short here as most of you claim ill catch you at the next market top when your 100% long if you make it that long...anyway short term we should be headed to 9200 if you want a specific call out of me...this is gonna be a fun couple months

#43     May 10, 2003
  4. Jeffo

Jeffo

Why is there no volume on the head and shoulders chart? And why do gurus never have volume on their charts?

#44     May 10, 2003
  5. I think that another interesting point is that the financials led this rally from the start. They look tired. On friday, the BKX broke under the uptrend line from the march lows. It looks stalled out at the 800 mark.

The other leader was the yhoo/ebay/amzn triumverate. Those 3 look weakish as well lately and have not been keeping up with the recent rally either.

EBAY has been in a holding pattern for 2 weeks while the market rose.

YHOO has done nothing in 6 weeks. It was down on a large up day on friday.

AMZN has done ok, but looks extended.

Now these 3 could be marking time before a move up. Or, this could be a topping pattern. I am of the opinion that they actually go higher (honestly). Yet, they have not done much lately.

#45     May 10, 2003
  6. Jeffo

Jeffo

There was a rumor on Friday that C (Citigroup or Citicorp whatever) was going to buy somebody, forget who it was. That brought down C and the financials.

#46     May 10, 2003
  7. Babak

Babak

re the financials, they aren't that strong really (once you look under the hood):

From Barron's (May 5 2003)

#47     May 10, 2003
  8. remember the ocean is huge and the tides are very strong. stronger than anyone of us----

surfer wisdom.... staying long here

#48     May 11, 2003
  9. Surf- You scare me. I really do respect your thoughts on the market. I do not like having an opposing position to yours. A very heartfelt best of luck. May the better man win. In the next few days, it probably will be you. Longer term, I really do think I am right, but timing is everything.

Babak- Thanx for the article. Very interesting. I have only really relied on the BKX. I guess I am missing a bigger picture. Look at COF though. That sh*t is nuts. Stocks like that which are clubbing the shorts are skewing things. Thanx again.

Great board guys. Keep it up. Very interesting stuff.

#49     May 11, 2003
  10. Blue Chip Economists Trim Growth Forecast

Sat May 10, 2003 06:38 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Private economists trimmed their forecasts for U.S. economic growth still further and now regard even the second half of 2003 with pessimism after a slew of data showed the U.S. economy still struggling to recover.
    The closely watched Blue Chip Economic Indicators newsletter said its panel cut growth forecasts for each of the next three quarters, extending the steady erosion in the survey's outlook that began last summer.

Gloomier still, nearly two-thirds of the more than 50 business economists on the panel said risks to their forecasts for growth in the second half of the year were on the downside.

"In large part, our panel members grew a bit more pessimistic over the past month because most of the latest economic releases and private sector survey results signaled that recent economic activity remained quite subdued," said the May edition of the newsletter.

Blue Chip said its panel forecast a second-quarter growth rate of 2.1 percent, down 0.1 percentage point from the 2.2 percent projection offered in April.

Forecasts for the third and fourth quarters of the year were also trimmed by 0.1 percentage point, to 3.5 percent and 3.7 percent, respectively.

"The paring of consensus estimates of GDP growth over the remainder of this year reflects diminished expectations of growth in personal consumption expenditures, business inventories, capital spending and industrial production," Blue Chip said in a summary of its latest survey.

Its May forecast pegged 2003 gross domestic product growth at 2.3 percent, down from 2.4 percent projected in April and the 2.4 percent growth achieved last year. This was the fourth month in a row the panel has cut the annual forecast.

Disappointing employment and manufacturing data in April show the economy likely began the second quarter on a sluggish note, following a weaker-than-expected initial estimate of first-quarter GDP growth of just 1.6 percent, Blue Chip said.

While most analysts still expect the quick, decisive military victory by the United States in Iraq will produce a rebound in the pace of consumer spending and business investment, the panel was scaling back just how soon and by how much the pace of overall growth is likely to accelerate.

"Business inventories are not expected to grow as fast as originally thought due to lingering cautiousness on the part of businesses about the likely strength of aggregate demand going forward," it said.

The U.S. economy lost 48,000 jobs in April, notching the third consecutive monthly decline after a 124,000 reduction in March and 353,000 loss in February.

"Indeed, payrolls have dropped in six of the last eight months," Blue Chip said, adding the plunge in weekly hours worked to a cyclical low of 34.0 a week was "particularly discouraging."

While the return of mortgage rates to their recent lows likely signals housing demand will remain reasonably strong for a while longer, cool weather and a very modest improvement in vehicle sales will likely leave April retail sales little changed from March, the private survey said.

#50     May 11, 2003