Who's an expert on the "right" position

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by nitro, Feb 3, 2003.

1. nitro

nitro

Yes,

Thanks for the suggestion.

nitro

#11     Feb 14, 2003
  2. nitro

nitro

My wife just wanted long QM...I talked her out of it :(

nitro

#12     Feb 14, 2003
  3. Babak

Babak

Haven't traded a one crack spread yet. But from nymex website you will see that it is entered as one trade. Not combo. So you don't need a fancy broker to do anything other than just give you access.

http://www.nymex.com/media/crackspread.pdf

#13     Feb 14, 2003
  4. nitro

nitro

Gulp - Crude hit an intraday level of $40 a barrel.

I talked her out of this trade. Today, she walked in the house and looked at me out of the corner of the eye only.

If I had put on the trade (long QM,which is what she wanted) and it had been wrong, the response would have been "I don't know what I am doing, _YOU'RE_ the one that's supposed to know - why didn't you talk me out of it?"

nitro <-- can't win :(

#14     Feb 27, 2003
  5. you know what nitro? That's funny that you should post this thread again, I was just thinking about it before even logging into ET. And there it is on the front page ;) I'm psychic too! What a happy family.

#15     Feb 27, 2003

6. Sounds like a perfect opportunity to explain about the Personal Responsibility aspect of trading - 'course, this might get you a few cold nights on the couch...

My wife, a beginning scalper, actually has it in her trading plan to ignore my musings, prognostications and comments while we are trading :p LOL I told her "just fade me, and one of us will make money every day..."

Paul

PS Why did you talk her out of that trade?

#16     Feb 27, 2003
  7. I understand you're missing out on a trade, but you could also be caught sleeping as first bomb drops and crude is getting punished oversees.

#17     Feb 28, 2003
  8. nitro

nitro

Heh,

Are you thinking long QM here?

nitro

#18     Mar 12, 2003
  9. nitro

nitro

Paul,

I honestly did not know what the correct position was to take. In retrospect, long QM would have been juicy, but it seems MUCH too risky for me. Long calls would have required a 2 point move just to break even - I hate paying premium. Long QM, short OIH was a strong possibilty, but when I tried to explain to her why this might be the best play, she just said she wanted long QM...

nitro

#19     Mar 12, 2003
  10. nitro

nitro

I agree completely. Another reason why in retrospect, it was not such an easy trade.

_NOW_, the endgame has gotten really interesting. My guess, long OIH, short QM, all using options, in the right ratio. These two are _WAY_ out of whack now.

nitro

#20     Mar 12, 2003