Whoops: PolitiFact's 'Lie of the Year' Turns Out to Be True

Discussion in 'Politics' started by John_Wensink, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Ricter

Ricter

Most of what we owe is to ourselves. You need to stop rereading... zerohedge, it's silly. Thanks.

#51     Jan 23, 2013
  2. Ok I'll bite, how much of that debt do YOU OWN?

ok good now subtract that 5$ from what YOU OWE, from which the gubbermint has BORROWED ON YOUR BEHALF.
    Now, don't you feel better? :D :D

#52     Jan 23, 2013
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

So instead of debating the point, you simply repeat your flawed statement (because you know it is incorrect) with no support whatsoever. Incidentally, none of my analysis here came from Zerohedge, but I don't expect you to know truth when it's shown to you.

The Fed is not "ourselves". It is a private bank that has no intent in paying it's interest to the US tax payer. The US Civil service Pension fund is not "ourselves". It is a pension fund designed to divest some of it's earnings into "Safe", low volatility instruments and gain the meager interest it pays so it can pay that later to civil service employees that have retired.

So, too, with the military retirement fund, but that is obviously for those in the military. None of this goes back to the US Taxpayer Public. Key word for you: Public.

Who is the public?

These guys:

You do realize that you don't have to admit you are wrong to actually be wrong, right?

#53     Jan 24, 2013
  4. Ricter

Ricter

You do the same.

Most government liabilities are Fed and public assets.

#54     Jan 24, 2013
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I just did. Several times.

Yes, Fed AND Public assets. But the Fed is NOT the public. So saying "most" (aka the majority or 50+ %) is owned by moms, dads and grandparents is outright false. Subtract the Fed from that and you have a small percentage actually owned by the public.

#55     Jan 24, 2013
  6. Ricter

Ricter

Fair enough. Still, most of what we owe is to ourselves. As to foreign debt, most of that is offset by foreign investments.

#56     Jan 24, 2013
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

From a sovereign argument, you are correct. However, I would argue that it is worse to have the Fed buy "most" of the treasuries, and not the market (which is primarily made of foreign entities). We're monetizing, and it's not smart. Forget about the whole inflation and printing money argument. It keeps rates artificially low and enables idiot politicians to spend without concern of efficiency.

#57     Jan 24, 2013