Who would win in a fight, Trader or Investor?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by focusonmoney, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Who do you think will win? Of course I'm not talking about real fighting.. We are talking about a money fight.. Who will make more money?

Of course this depends on time, but let's say in 5 years.. Who would you bet on?

Well since I'm a trader, of course my bets are with the day trader.. Why? Well, I believe if you are good at trading then you might have a little advantage over investors and here's why..

Investors basically get their gains from up moves..while traders can benefit from up, down and sideways moves..

Traders can start with a small account and gain 100% on their money in months.. While investors may have to wait much longer for those types of gains..

Traders also have the option to hold their position a little longer than normal (swing trading).. While investors buy and hope :)..

What are your thoughts? Who would you bet on?

2. l2tradr

l2tradr

Given that some statistics say that 90%+ of traders LOSE money but markets have trended UP for decades (on average), I'll go with the INVESTOR as a winner on average.

3. Very true.. But we are talking about in 5 years time and also the trader knows how to trade.. Who would you bet on?

4. l2tradr

l2tradr

If we're talking about the very few people percentage wise that could trade, then of course the trader.

5. I believe Goldman Sacks would win...hands down!

...and then give themselves some more money. :D

6. title said "Who would win in a fight, Trader or Investor? "

It did NOT say "Good, Profitable Trader with Exceptional Money Management" :D

I would go with the investor almost every time, unless I knew the trader and could verify their results. I would guess that after 5 years, the average investor will be ahead of the average trader 95-99% of the time.

7. depends on which 5 years we are talking about. If an investor started in '04 - '05 then he would be WAY down right now.

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

As mentioned earlier, depends on the decade.

9. The title didnt say, but in my first post I did say if you are good at trading.. I do agree that investors could make good money, but its usually slow money.. Once in a while you might get a spike in your investment account..

10. Very true.. But I think a good trader doesn't have to worry about the decade.. IMO

#10     Aug 12, 2009