who would hire an independent trader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by blogtrader, Aug 1, 2005.

1. blogtrader

blogtrader Guest

and why should it ?

#31     Aug 4, 2005

2. Depends on your personality and if you have current audits. They can start you in the mailroom and then you can bang the bosses wife while working for a promotion. Oh wait, that's a movie with michael j. fox, sorry.

#32     Aug 4, 2005
  3. Doesn't Lefty work for Soros or Citadel? Puhhllllease.

#33     Aug 4, 2005
  4. many job vacancies on monster for example require trading experience and engineering background. May be for some type of system development. give' em a try

#34     Aug 8, 2005
  5. The answer you provided is correct. Independent traders are essentially looked upon as business owners. Recruiters for corporate jobs view such a background as not commensurate with nearly all corporate environments. Without direct, focused, and extensive matching experience to a particular corporate job - including any type of programming or IT work - your chances of being considered are nearly zero - unless you have connections and even then the odds are not much better.

You are qualified to be a trader , and these are the jobs that you can seek - primarily at hedge funds - and unless you are at a top fund the amount of money that you will garner as an employee trader will probably be unimpressive relative to what you can make on your own .....

#35     Aug 8, 2005
  6. Remiraz

Remiraz

if i can make money trading...why the heck would i want a job?

#36     Aug 8, 2005
  7. Choad

Choad

You're an EE and you wonder what to do?

Get a different outlook! You can be very creative and happy as an engineer. I'm an EE and I've been doing engineering for 20 years. I make a $100K (I know, not much compared to all you big swinging d's, but plenty for me), have 5 weeks paid vacation and two weeks sick leave, 5% matching 401K, the respect and admiration of others, etc...

But, heh, that being said I wouldn't mind being in the position of trading full time. :cool:

Good luck.

C

#37     Aug 8, 2005
  8. Remiraz

Remiraz

wtf 5 weeks paid vacation?? u work in the USA? here in SE Asia we get about 3 days paid vacation LOL. (okay i'm making up the numbers. probably 1 week heh)

$100k per year is how much after all the nasty taxes?

#38     Aug 8, 2005
  9. newbunch

newbunch

You might have some trouble get a job with a hedge fund or institution. I'm also a system developer. I went looking for a hedge fund/institutional job, but most want PHDs for the quant/system development area.

Here's a good list of hedge fund positions available: http://jobs.efinancialcareers.com/Hedge_Funds.htm

#39     Aug 8, 2005
  10. Remiraz

Remiraz

what about MBAs? is there even a PhD Quantitative Finance? i think QF only goes up to Masters. Perhaps physics, mathematics etc.

#40     Aug 8, 2005