Who would be your dream mentor?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by popesidious, Oct 22, 2005.

Who would you prefer?

1. Marty Schwartz

22 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. Victor Niederhoffer

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. George Soros

21 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Paul Tudor Jones

46 vote(s)
    26.4%
  5. Ed Seykota

20 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. Charles Faulkner

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Warren Buffett (is not a trader, but...)

13 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. James Rodgers

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. John Meriwether

6 vote(s)
    3.4%
  10. Jesse Livermore (if he were alive)

30 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. Babak

Babak

Who is "James Rodgers"? Do you mean Jim Rogers (the other half of Quantum's dynamic duo)?

WB btw is a trader - and a darned good one. This is one of the most misunderstood things about him. He made the vast majority of his money trading fast and furious - not sitting on KO for 6 decades.

#21     Oct 22, 2005
  2. What about the Turtles? Possibly Richard Dennis, who made all of the turtles into millionaires.

#22     Oct 22, 2005
  3. I'm impressed that no one has chosen John Meriwether... this is the guy widely mentioned in Michael Lewis' "Liar's Poker" as the "King of Wall Street"... the same Meriwether that played a $1 million dolllar Liar's Poker with John Gutfreund, the head of Salomon Brothers at that time.

Meriwether is the same guy that headed Long-Term Capital Management (LTCM), a firm that after the Russian and Brazilian crisis of 1998 blew $4.5 Billion USD.

After that bad experience he created JWM Partners, he has more than $1 billion in assets.

(further information is contained in the the stupid Trader Monthly Magazine of October 05)

#23     Oct 22, 2005
  4. I call him James because I don't know him personally, but he is the guy with the bow tie that appears in CNBC that was Soros' partner.

Niederhoffer makes a very good point about Buffy in one his books when he says that most of his dough comes from Geico (my insurer and I love Geico) a company that he didn't buy following his personal theories on investments. He bought this company from Graham, his mentor and friend.

#24     Oct 22, 2005
  5. kowboy

kowboy

Not exactly a trader, but I'd have to choose Sir John Templeton.

#25     Oct 22, 2005
  6. I believe one could add Blair Hull to the list, and Tom Baldwin, one who founded a respectable options trading firm, and the other possibly the best pit bond trader.

All this of course depends upon your personality, and what type of trading you would like to excel at.

Best to All, and God Bless!!

Kelly

#26     Oct 22, 2005
  7. zdreg

zdreg

Master yourself and you master the market

#27     Oct 23, 2005
  8. You really belive that Steve Cohen started wth $200........?!

#28     Oct 23, 2005
  9. Me.

(and I do not see my name on the list so I cannot vote)

:D :D :D

#29     Oct 23, 2005
  10. Richard Dennis (missing from the options)
    He actually financed his pupils. Great way to start and take no risks.... :)

PS and why is niederhoeffer in a list
    he lost most of his clients money and never amounted much in trading.

#30     Oct 23, 2005