Who wins with high Gas Prices?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by 5yrtrader, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Highly unlikely in an environment where consumption is down. Look bro, I usually bow out when traders know more than I do about trading. But I've been working for big name FMCG companies for all my life (Coke, Reckitt, Novartis, etc). I'm telling you, when consumption is down, increasing prices to make up lost sales does even more damage to Sales Before Discounts (or Gross in this discussion).

Very few businesses can do what you're saying in an environment where consumption is less. Maybe those business where a certain niche group absolutely needs the product and must pay higher for it.

#11     Apr 29, 2008
  2. Yea, I know (sigh). I'm beat on theory and reality. But dagnabbit, quicksand sucks.:D

#12     Apr 29, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

Who wins?

1. Car makers who sell high MPG models... perhaps people even pay a premium for them.

2. Oil sellers.

Most everybody else is working on a margin... high or low oil/gas prices don't impact their profits all that much.

#13     Apr 29, 2008
  4. the bin laden families.

#14     Apr 29, 2008
  5. heypa

heypa

Tax the windfall profits of the corn growers.Cut off their subsidies. Also stop subsidizing ethanol.The various gummints collect much more monies than the oil companies profits.
    Better yet impeach any elected official that thinks higher taxes will solve the problem.Get them and the tree huggers out of the way and the market will solve the oil problem and its replacement energy source problem when it finally does diminish.

#15     Apr 29, 2008
  6. XOM COP RDS VLO BP ADM and many more

#16     Apr 29, 2008
  7. "Ladies and gentlemen, I traveled over jist about half our state to get here this evenin'. I couldn't get away sooner, because my new well was a-comin' in at Lobos River, and I had to see about it. That well is now flowin' four thousand barrel, and payin' me an income of five thousand dollars a day. I got two others drillin', and I got sixteen producin' at Antelope. So, ladies and gentlemen, if I say I'm an oil man, you got to agree. You got a great chanct here, ladies and gentlemen; but bear in mind, you can lose it all if you ain't careful..."

The funny thing is that a monkey with half a mind, and a nickel or dime, could'a been speculatin' since the year two thousand and one that a diverse portfolio maybe ain't so bad an idea. That bein' said, ladies and gentlemen, how many of you have been a holdin' an ETF called OIH, or better yet, how many of ya' even know off the top of your head, what it even might be?

I, ladies and gentlemen, am not an oil man but I am a smart one. Or smart enough, at least, to know that a simple way to offset my own personal expenses, whilst buildin' personal savings mind you, due from the rise in oil and gasoline prices was to start a buyin' OIH years ago and I've been a addin' positions ever since the year two thousand and three. Perhaps that is why when I hear the wild stories of gas pumps quite literally stranglin' people, and the complaints about how the rise in gas prices is a hurtin' everybody, I cannot help but to think about my early buyin' back around $60, and I cannot help but to compare it to the blind complainin' as loudly as they can to the deaf, concernin' why it's so terrible bein' blind. The truth is, ladies and gentlemen; ain't nobody who should care about you bein' blind that does, and we don't mind bein' deaf, when we can see all that green.

#17     Apr 29, 2008