Who wins in a Trade War? China or US?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by smallfil, May 10, 2019.

Who wins in a Trade War?

1. US wins by a mile! Not even close.

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. China wins by a mile! Not even close.

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. US wins by a hair, close but, not decisive enough

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  4. China wins by a hair, close but, not decisive enough

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Do not know who wins. I am just an ignorant troll.

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. zdreg

zdreg

The US will ruin itself through budget deficits, not through trade deficits.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    #61     May 11, 2019
  2. eurusdzn

eurusdzn

Tarrifs Friday coincide with Trump and Dozus'' boys recently getting the fed in line.
    What a coincidence. Easier to stay flat now relative to the 20 percent December selloff.
    Good to see the comparison to China stock indices. My opinion on this matter will follow that.

#62     May 11, 2019
  3. zdreg

zdreg

Poll should have asked additional choices in a trade war are both counties winners or are both countries losers.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    #63     May 11, 2019
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

The bay of pigs was an outright back stab by jfk.

#64     May 11, 2019
  5. None will win.

#65     May 11, 2019
  6. neke

neke

narrow-minded

#66     May 11, 2019
    Stockolio likes this.
  7. Overnight

Overnight

Nobody wins in a trade war. And the war goes on, and then peace is called, and it goes right back to where it was in the beginning...A huge negative trade imbalance, because America loves to buy cheep stuff.

#67     May 11, 2019
  8. themickey

themickey

chicken-or-the-egg.jpg

#68     May 11, 2019
  9. You nicely conflated all the issues, I never remotely suggested that H1B visa applicants take jobs away from managers in the EB1 category. Then you start dancing around peanuts by not wanting to admit that the truth is that the majority of H1B visa go to Indians and not because they are so truly qualified but because there is a need for 2nd and 3rd tier IT workers in the US. (I define with 2nd and 3rd tier those who work with SQL databases, do web design, front end work,... Not 1st tier as in working at the forefront of AI or robotics or research in biochemistry or the medicine or the like). It's completely irrelevant whether those came from India or are Indians who made a pit stop at a US university.

My point has been that US immigration law is completely outdated in that there are very few work visa categories and that the acceptance vs rejection decision is based on a cap and that such cap is by majority exhausted within days by individuals of 2 countries, India and China. Because there are no country quotas because of the sheer number of Indian and to a lesser degree Chinese applicants hardly anyone else has a reasonable chance in obtaining H1B visa to work in the US even though there is a strong need for skilled workers in other than IT sectors. The sheer number of Indians overwhelms the entire system for work visa. And why do you feel addressed. You attended school in the US for about 10 years or more you should have never tangented by the H1B issue.

Furthermore, why does the H1B issue also impact other work visa categories? Because the H1B system has been so badly abused that there is a negative stigma attached to it and because the current climate surrounding work visa applications also negatively impacts executives on a managerial level.

Listen, the situation is pretty easily assessed. Are countries like India shit hole countries? By no means. But they are not attractive countries at all even for their own citizens. Give Koreans, Chinese, HK locals, Indians, Filipinos, and many citizens of other Asians a free US passport and air ticket and guess where almost an entire continent will flock to? Yes, America. You yourself made that very same choice apparently. One culture is noticeably absent: Japanese. Japanese by large majority would choose to stay and live in Japan if given a choice, so would a large percentage of Europeans. The problem really arises with the few researchers and highly skilled workers (as in highly, not Web design or low level IT shit) who are sought after by US companies but who can't obtain a visa because 2 nations in the world completely overload and exhaust the work visa system in the US.

No matter how much you hate to hear it but at some point we all will need to ask the following question: at what point are there too many Indian and Chinese immigrants in the US and Canada? When is it gonna be too much? I don't think Indians would like it if in a short span of time 10-15% Turks or Scandinavians made up their population. There are limits to tolerance and assimilation, especially when people of certain cultures actually refuse to assimilate or ever pledge their allegiance to their newly chosen home country. What is the percentage of Indians or Chinese who attained citizenship in the US who serve their country in the military? It is as small as a rounding error. Vastly different moral and ethical values, completely different incompatable values of life. Where is the willingness to fit in? I want to be very careful in stressing that I am talking about averages not generalize or include each and every person in this assessment. Some cultures are more compatible than others.

I am absolutely convinced that the current immigration policy is a fad and that at some point a majority of the population will re-assess and realize that there are enough of a certain cultural background and that is when quotas for each country will be implemented. That is when a balance will be re-established. For example, 5% of all Indians who apply get the work or immigration visa, 5% of Europeans, 5% of Japanese who apply pass and so on. That is when an immigration policy becomes fair. Europeans should not be penalized that India is a pretty unattractive place to live and that the only reason Chinese are still in China is that the government brainwashes people and keeps all information away from public discourse. Why do you think Vancouver, Toronto, Sydney, Auckland, Christchurch are almost unaffordable to even their own citizens? Because a disproportionate amount who earned their money in unverifiable ways enters those countries and bids up the entire market. Hong Kong locals got a free pass to Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada for no apparent reason, at no point were HK locals in danger of persecution, imprisonment, death before, during, or after the handover to China, yet they all got a free pass. I truly believe the reason is that Europe has so far played a very weak game and has not looked after its own citizens and its citizens' interests in the world. Very soon Europe will be the next to put the screws on China because otherwise entire Europe will be swamped with Chinese and trade will be as imbalanced as is currently the case with US-Chinese trade. You might disagree, and that is your prerogative, but I am absolutely convinced that Europeans and white Americans will soon wake up and demand that their voices will be equally heard given that they still represent an absolute majority in their home countries.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    #69     May 12, 2019
  10. I feel like this guy may be a little racist. Do other white people on this forum feel the same about the issues he raises? I personally feel as if it's a media inflated issue to cause this very type of thing for insecure people.

Though I readily agree that the quality of people the UK let in is antithetical to the idea of successful immigration. I recall reading books on this when I was younger, specifically about the UK. And if the US adopted such a policy, it would be a bad result in the end.

Fortunately, the US is a big place.

#70     May 12, 2019