Who wins in a Trade War? China or US?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by smallfil, May 10, 2019.

Who wins in a Trade War?

1. US wins by a mile! Not even close.

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. China wins by a mile! Not even close.

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. US wins by a hair, close but, not decisive enough

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  4. China wins by a hair, close but, not decisive enough

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Do not know who wins. I am just an ignorant troll.

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. JSOP

JSOP

Correction: 1.4 billion people and growing. Yeah China is a planet all by itself. LOL

#51     May 11, 2019
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  2. Can the .4+ billion living below the poverty line be counted? That's close to double the US population including canada.

#52     May 11, 2019
  3. smallfil

smallfil

As consumers we have two choices always: 1) Do I want to buy this product at this price now or 2) I do not need it bad enough that I can wait. A lot of times, waiting allows me to find either a cheaper alternative or a better price or decide that I do not actually, need the product and can do without it! Life is about choices.

#53     May 11, 2019
  4. Exports from China to the USA are already down 14% since the 10% import tax.

China can't afford to lose the USA. Their fake economy is based on government subsidy and they can't find enough countries to dump their stuff.

#54     May 11, 2019
    LacesOut and smallfil like this.
  5. Yes, china is an ancient society wearing silk while the west wore animal skins living in caves. They didn't kill off each other as much as the west.

#55     May 11, 2019
  6. volpri

volpri

USA USA USA....CHANT Mr T Mr T Mr T

They should add Mr T to Mt Rushmore and rename it TRUMPMORE.

USA USA USA

China won’t win diddly squat.

#56     May 11, 2019
    smallfil likes this.
  7. zdreg

zdreg

Don't play the race card.
    My personal opinion is we should let in relatively low skilled people to take care of the aging baby boomer generation and also to allow skilled middle class american women to have caretakers for their children, while at work.

#57     May 11, 2019
  8. ironchef

ironchef

Yes, here in the good old USA, we don't believe in lucky numbers, don't gamble, don't believe in feng shui. Avoiding 13 is based on scientific facts, same as don't walk under a ladder, and only Chinese gamble in Las Vegas, bet on horses. Everyone is equal in the US, no elites to screw the people...

We are clever, hardworking, the Chinese are lazy and dumb since they only work 12-14 hour day, 6 days a week with no break and there are only 300,000 Chinese graduate students studying technical degrees in US universities, too few to count.

#58     May 11, 2019
    DaveV likes this.
  9. ironchef

ironchef

No one wins in a trade war.

However, a $350 billions deficit is not sustainable. Something has to give whether Trump starts a trade war or not.

This reminded me of colonialism and imperialism of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Western countries exported more to their colonies and serfdoms than imported raw materials from them and thus dominated their economy and politics.

Taken to the limit, the huge US deficits, adding up in a few decades, could turn the US into a serfdom? Think China in the late 19th century and early 20th century. I think they still remember those days.

#59     May 11, 2019
  10. themickey

themickey

Nice try.
    Nearly 100% of chinese rely on good luck, only about 30% of Americans.
    You can work your ass off but if you blow your dough on a bad gamble, "Go back to square one."
    Asians in Asia fall into the trap of group think, not so much Americans.
    Then they die young from chain smoking.

#60     May 11, 2019