Who wants to be a Billionaire?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by acrary, Jan 22, 2004.

1. thanks for these details.

I just want to be millionnaire.

I have -20K (minus) how should I do ?

:cool:

#31     Jan 23, 2004
  2. Another very successful manager told me that if you can make 12% a year with a low std deviation the money will find you. OPM is the key.

#32     Jan 23, 2004
  3. Acrary is a true gem on these boards. The man has given me as much help, guidance, and inspiration as anyone else I know. He shows us all that it is possible to be a top trader. With proper statistics, methodology, discipline, and above all a hard working attitude we can succeed. His recent post shows his willingness to share his valuable experience and insight. Thank you Acrary.

With that being said (smirk) I have a question on the money management of this strategy. Would the following be an accurate example of the process?

Position 1: Shorter term MA below Longer term MA by 0.30. Enter limit at Current Price+0.30. Enter (total account *.02)/ (contract multiplier * .30).
    Position 2: Now Long. Market advances another +0.30. Enter (total account *.02)/ (contract multiplier * .30).
    Position 3: Still Long. Market advances another +0.30. Now 0.60 above MA. Enter (total account *.02)/ (contract multiplier * .60).
    Position 4: Still Long. Market advances another +0.60. Now 1.20 above MA. Enter (total account *.02)/ (contract multiplier * 1.20).

I believe that is the correct procedure right?

Here is some info on John W Henry. Not to imply that that is who we are speaking of here.

http://www.turtletrader.com/trader-henry.html
    http://www.turtletrader.com/trader-henry2.html

This isn't JWH himself but the President of his fund giving a speech at the NYMEX.
    http://www.clicklive.com/NYMEX/symposium_2003/rzepczynski.htm

As an aside I received a prospectus from JWH Managed Futures Fund. I was admittedly underwhelmed by its performance. Non stellar returns and a Sharpe ratio of 0.31. This could be a totally different strategy than what may be disclosed here but it said they are running the same core strategy developed 20 years ago with a small update to the system in 1997. Whatever the case, something obviously worked for JWH.

Fund disclosures are a great source of information to get you thinking of good strategies and what it takes to develop sound systems. Crabel's disclosure was fairly fascinating...

#33     Jan 23, 2004

4. the guy in the interview said JWH uses breakouts which is a"non-linear" techniques, I guess they must have diversify into other strategies besides Macross

#34     Jan 23, 2004
  5. What should we prefer as indication of Risk indicator in non linear data ?
    Sharpe ratio or Std Deviation ?

#35     Jan 23, 2004
  6. kztd

kztd Guest

I'm seeing 2 problems:

1: This system will work great in backtesting because u can pick 2 MA's that would have worked. In practice, however, your going to have periods where you keep getting whipped on the entry.

2: When have a good run, you won't get to keep the money, bec when it turns against u, you're holding your biggest bag.

#36     Jan 23, 2004
  7. There's something I'm not following here on the strategy as posted by acary..

I'm using 34 and 144 day moving averages, then looking at what the price would have to be to make the MA's crossover.

However, when you get in a long bull (or bear) run the price needed to make the MA's crossover can move a huge distance away from the current price. For example, in the long bull runs in the S&P you can arrive at a NEGATIVE price to drive the 34 MA to cross below the 144 MA.

Similar problem using either SMA's or EMA's.

I'm missing something..

any ideas?

#37     Jan 23, 2004
  8. abogdan

abogdan

If you allow pyramiding (or averaging) there are hundreds of systems to look at and compare. For example, look at one of mine.
    Use trade station and apply it to QQQ daily (for the past 5 years). System could be modified to any stock.

#38     Jan 23, 2004
  9. Text version; I don't have Tradestation?

#39     Jan 23, 2004
  10. I have a friend who is part of a family with a fortune. According to my friend, the patriarch of this family never pays his taxes. Instead he waits until he's audited and then his team of lawers and tax accountants supposedly pay a comparitively nominal fee to satisfy the IRS until the next time they audit him for tax evasion.

Do you know of this sort of behaviour? Can or will you give me the informed scoop on the IRS, tax evasion, tax lawers and whatever I'm not enquiring about yet should be?

Thanks

#40     Jan 23, 2004