Who trades the ES?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by catalyst, Aug 19, 2010.

1. catalyst

catalyst

interesting thread Jatt...

that seems to be have been some time ago. anything changed since then? :)

#11     Sep 10, 2010
  2. To be honest mate, if you can see the ladder you'll be able to see the first three in action all day everyday. I've heard Igor has had a good run in this bull market. I haven't seen the Big Bear for a while, I presume he's a short only trader for the reasons I gave in that post and I imagine he has been smoked by this bull rally of 2 years. He used to boss it, but I rarely notice him there these days.

It would be good if anyone else could name a few big traders in the ES. It's hard to believe that it is being dominated by so few people, but apart form the funds, I only see Igor and The Bear fighting it out, and now without the Big Bear Igor is left to rule it as he wishes:eek:

#12     Sep 10, 2010
  3. catalyst

catalyst

thanks diamond! will take a look at that.

do u trade the ES too? :)

#13     Sep 10, 2010
  4. With Contract Limitations in the ES how can anyone dominate?

#14     Sep 11, 2010
  5. occasionally but not very well.

#15     Sep 13, 2010
  6. I know that some of the larger orders are pit traders liquidating their positions on the big contract. These are basically market makers or 'micro-scalpers' who flip 100-lots of the big S&P all day long.

At least this is what I was told by a friend of mine who is the wife of a pit trader and a former S&P trader herself.

#16     Sep 13, 2010
  7. catalyst

catalyst

how does this work??

#17     Sep 13, 2010
  8. catalyst

catalyst

heyy tomahawk, thanks for the info.

u reckon they make up the bulk of the orders?

#18     Sep 13, 2010
  9. Definitely not, look at the volumes. ES volume >>> 5 x SP volume.

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/equity-index/index.html

On your other question, position limits apply to how much can be held at one time, but don't restrict volume. You can turn over your position as fast as you want, so in theory you could have many at the position limits but a few making up the majority of the volume. But I don't have any reason to think that is the case.

#19     Sep 14, 2010
  10. catalyst

catalyst

hi black diamond,

thanks for the info. :)

i am well aware of the huge ES volume vs the big contract. i am of the opinion that big volume means that it is not as susceptible to being dominated by a small group of traders. maybe you could comment on that...

also, correct me if i'm wrong, your opinion is that majority of the volume is made up by traders taking positions (aka hedge funds & other institutions etc.), as opposed to a handful of locals?

#20     Sep 17, 2010