Who trades grains overnight?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by zz, Apr 18, 2007.

1. zz

zz

Theres quite a bit of volume on overnight grains with some decent movement....who are the people that are trading them...Speculators? Overseas?....just curious

2. And Very wide spreads. I have seen spreads as wide as 1-1/2 points over night on grains.

Volume wise it's about 70-80% lower than the comparable day session

3. I used to. Get out before the day shift takes over. Volume is too thin for me. It will be interesting to see what the day shift does with the runaway buying going on in the July contract tonight. Highs are for shorting, bottoms are for buying.

4. Corn and wheat are floating, July soy however keeps reverting to the day close..

Oddly September Soy is up

5. Neodude

Neodude

I've been watching overnight corn for a while now, the spread is tight most of the time, but I haven't been able to figure out a strategy to trade it yet. The first 10 mins of the night session can get pretty volatile.

-Neo

6. Many times I would see lots of movement in the first 15 minutes then it would just sit stuck in one spot most of the night. Like watching the paint dry. Much like the ES at night. ZZZZZZZZZ

7. SOy has a different personality (as of now) than corn.

And true the 1st 5 minutes corn will run... then as the night progresses... well you know. LOL.

Soy tends to swing a little wider throughout the night... But the spread tend to widen at times. right now it's one tick... But I have watched it go as high as 6 ticks...

8. Neodude

Neodude

Yea, I know what you mean, but sometimes it can make pretty good moves, just look at tonights 2min chart.

-Neo

9. 4.5 quick little points :) Nice follow through buying from the day session.

10. Neodude

Neodude

And it keeps going, its at 370 now... might be over extended at this point, but who knows...

-Neo

#10     Apr 18, 2007