“Who the hell cares if there’s a trade war?” with China

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Snarkhund, May 20, 2016.

1. Snarkhund

Snarkhund

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/05/20/donald-trump-hell-cares-theres-trade-war/

“Here’s my trade deal,” Trump began. “My trade deal is very simple … I am going to make great deals for this country. That’s my trade deal.”

“You can call it free trade…you can do whatever you want to call it,” he added. “It may be free, it may not be free.”

“Who the hell cares if there’s a trade war?” Trump questioned, adding that the U.S. has a “$500 billion [trade deficit with China] and they’re telling me about a trade war.”

“China will behave and China will be our friend,” Trump said — once he’s president. “They’re going to respect our country again.”

Wow. What if the Chinese didn't show up at the Treasury auctions? Wouldn't the Treasury have to offer higher rates to attract buyers? What impact does that have on consumer credit and the mortgage markets?

Enlighten me. Thanks.

2. banks would be more willing to loan money for mortgages?

3. jem

jem

marginal this equals marginal that.

the fact the U.S. has been able to sell debt to China has allowed china to keep the peg... which in part has allowed major market distortions to persist. Working with China the FED has basically allowed our economy to exist in a finacial bubble with low interest rates propping it up as our assets have been looted.

We need to get back to a free un rigged market.

4. The enlightening thing here is that tRump is an idiot. As if we needed any more proof.

Also, that so many people are so dumb as to not see what an idiot he is.

5. jem

jem

as if the establishment has been doing such a good job.
    its so good the fed has hold down interest rates while creating inflation.

6. wildchild

wildchild

Well I personally enjoy products that are inexpensive. I am not willing to pay twice as much for the same product of equal quality.

Secondly, I do not think the government should have the power to determine when and where private industry does business.

Thirdly, those jobs Trump says his going to get back aint coming back. They are gone. It has nothing to do with NAFTA either. This phenomenon began in the early 70s, well before NAFTA.

7. jem

jem

its quite conceivable that had the market not been manipulated and the FED had not devalued the dollar by 700 percent we could have jobs and relatively inexpensive products. It did not have to be either. When Bernie sanders says this things has been rigged... he is 100 percent correct. We had labor. We had transportation. We had abundant resources, an relatively well educated populace. Things should not have gone south so quickly.

8. wildchild

wildchild

The country has been losing manufacturing since the early '70s. Lets be serious here. How far south have things gone? What country does the smart money have their money on? What country is beating the US? Where are you putting your money?

Second, I would love your source for 700 percent devaluation. How did you arrive at that number? Who is the numb skull who said that?

Third, you do understand a stronger dollar makes exports more expensive and imports cheaper. Where are these jobs coming from?

d08 likes this.
  9. we as a people can choose who we want our government laws to favor even though it isn't pure capitalism

10. jem

jem

1. here is the us bureau of labor stats. if you plug in 1970 and 100 dollars - today its 617 dollars. And that is a very conservative estimate. I have seen significantly higher estimates.
    http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

2. I traveled pretty extensively in the 80s. Our standard of living vs Europe was far higher than it is today. In the 80s we had jobs and opportunities all over the place when we got out of school. By just about any measure our economy had not progressed since the early 90s. We have had a fake economy based on cheap money as our manufacturing base has been extracted and sent to china.

As someone pointed out years ago. There is something distorted in the world market when you look at 10 pound plates in your gym and they say made in China.

3. When you say a strong dollar makes exports more expensive you are not getting the long run concept of free floating currencies... you only talking about the short run. In the long run the stronger economy gets to make the more complex more profitable goods. In the short run and an artificial bump can change the exchange of goods temporarily but it should get reset quickly.

If currencies were not allowed to be pegged and manipulated... the currency imbalance would reset.

For instance Russia devalues their Ruble... At first Apple products go up in price and Russia gets to export more goods. Russia than has more dollars to exchange and the price of dollars goes down when they try and turn them back to Rubles.

Our problem is that our currencies are not free floating and our FED worked with China to help them keep the peg.

For instance China had to work hard in conjunction with our FED to maintain that peg which distorted world markets. It was so distorted that they ran out of real places to place their money. They took a trillion and half dollars which might have broken the peg and bought second mortgages at low interest rates... from wall street's premium sellers. As would be expected... the mortgages turned out to worthless. They should have lost trillions overall.. but the FED then exchanged those worthless seconds for treasuries.

==
    I contend that we lost far more manufacturing jobs and IP over the years... than we should have.

Ross Perot predicted it and so did some leading democrats at the time.
    Now the TPP is going to try and wipe us out even more.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    #10     May 21, 2016