Who Started Trading Straight Out of College?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by schizo, Jul 1, 2010.

1. dartmus

dartmus

started trading when I was 20 or 21, 1974 or 5. We called it investing. Attended shareholders meetings at 22, in a company I had all of $200 (or $400) invested in. Got singled out for being the only shareholder present who had read the wrong book, which said DON"T vote your shares via proxy, .. so my name was called and I was asked how I wanted to vote my shares. I voted with the boards recomended choices .. and indeed learned many things. (ncluding of course, don't vote by proxy) [cause the board can change or manipulate that vote].

bvu that misses the point, or at least an important point along my path, that's beyond conveying, because it's anchored as a feeling, .. of not wanting to be present at that shareholders meeting, (in many ways) while still knowing I had to be there. Nasdaq or AMEX exchange, listed company, tho they might have been OTC at that time.

edit: clarification .. at 22 I was the only 1 in a room full of large shareholders, voting 200 shares of a 2 or 3 dollar stock .. that was singled out, to vote my shares in person. Everyone else, sat quietly, wondering I suppose, what was this spectacle, or perhaps they were thinking of something else, but 1 of the reasons I didn't want to attend was I disliked being around people. There were 50 or 100 there, ... and I stood up when my name was called, prolly red faced and sweating, sweaty palms ... just like *trading* still is at times.

I've learend it's good to feel unpleasant at times.

college came in small snippets, years later, as needed, primarily for advancement in the work force, manufacturing, real estate licensing requirements, career change to computers, tangled up with marriage, kids, divorice ect.

it is what it is now. not what it was then. now, I've very neare to creating the scalping part of my strategy. Can't say scalping is the correrct reference for it, but it measures the smallest details, and extrapolates them via global vars into my preferred bar intervals. It's destined to be the component that enables me to reduce the number of components so I don't have to have as many charts. Not the GV's .. the thing I can't describe.

if it doesn't work for me the way I plann, then .. persistence does.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    #31     May 16, 2020
  2. nice info my friend

#32     May 16, 2020
  3. I started when I was 18, half way thru university. I dropped out shortly after not to trade full time but to work at a financial planning firm but still traded while working until I finally quit my job to start my business and trade full time.

#33     May 26, 2020
  4. ironchef

ironchef

@never2old is my younger brother. :D

#34     May 28, 2020
  5. When I was in college, I began my search for forex trading and started studying and learning new strategies for trading. As my subject was related to economics, so it was a little facile for me to analyze market condition and economies of different countries.

#35     Jun 25, 2020
  6. It all sounds very interesting and easy enough business, isn`t it? It reminds me also about my college friend, as he told a lot about trading and I guess he was doing it. I think so as I remember he always was busy and use services like https://ca.edubirdie.com/calculus-help to deal with study somehow. I helped him with calculus assignments several times, so maybe he is a big trader now))

#36     Jul 19, 2020
  7. Same boat...

I have been trading professionally, since 1998 (I saw Fractions! Like Teenies!). The only "job" I have ever had.

I have cut down my trading hours, and now take Fridays off.

My suggestion, is that after accomplishing this level of experience, maybe do some manual labor.

I am thinking of maybe becoming a part-time bartender, or a waiter, and simply donate all proceeds to charity. You get human interaction. You are already happy, because you are set for life. And you donate 100% of the proceeds to charity.

Anyway, just an idea. I am already looking into exotic destinations in the Caribbean...

#37     Jul 19, 2020
    richie90 and ironchef like this.
  8. ironchef

ironchef

I donated and volunteered at the local food bank, helped put life in perspective.

Still, it is depressing to think how unfair life is. Folks struggled, couldn't make enough to feed their family yet we made a few clicks and earned more that what they made in a year. :(

#38     Jul 27, 2020
    ChipShotTrader likes this.