Who Started Trading Straight Out of College?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by schizo, Jul 1, 2010.

1. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

i never went to college other than to take a few classes i was interested in at night. anyone can do it if you have tenacity.

btw i worked for the biggest firms in the industry. i came in as a programmer and computer guy which meant i installed sat dishes, ran cables, and programmed systems. soon i was trading systems and no longer messing with tech related stuff.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    #21     Feb 25, 2020
    dartmus likes this.
  2. schizo

schizo

Hey gramp, what's up? :D You have my respect for being alive this long, both physically and financially (trading-wise, that is). :finger:

BTW this is a really old thread. I don't even remember I created this.

#22     May 15, 2020
    ironchef and Overnight like this.
  3. Schizo u been around this long ? Damn bro
    Respect for staying consistent

#23     May 15, 2020
  4. schizo

schizo

Actually, I'm about to renege on my earlier promise. I plan to retire as soon as we come out of this bear market. I've since learned that there are higher callings in life. I hope you find your higher purpose as well. :finger:

#24     May 15, 2020
    Sekiyo likes this.
  5. Handle123

Handle123

I was in college in the 70s and joined military in 78, I had always been good at target shooting/parachuting in high school. During basic bumped in a Colonel when I was running and he volunteered me for shooting and parachuting at Bragg, start at 1000 feet and down to under 500 hitting jungle, learned how to track, go days without much and wait, longest several months of my life, so I thought at the time. Sent to another duty station in El Paso and WSMR, worked evenings which gave me time to go downtown Merrill Lynch's office, listened to retired investors on fundamentals. 100 shares use to cost $125 bucks

For most part always had something on the side whether full time or investments like real estate, have traded for myself and 401k, co-owned brokerage long ago for a year, didn't like it, managed money and mentored some. Retired at 43, most years just trade, when I got bored I work at other things till it gets like work and quit, one thing nice bout trading, more knowledge you have, speed not an issue. Now have automation, trade manually new stuff am developing. I doubt I can ever walk away, like the challenges of beating myself.

#25     May 15, 2020
    systematictrader likes this.
  6. Overnight

Overnight

HAHA, who is the grampa NOW? Mmm hmm. Whassa matter Schizo, can't remember a thread you started 10 years ago? Old man!

*needles Skizty. *

#26     May 15, 2020
  7. ajacobson

ajacobson

The old CME was at 444 W Jackson - about a 5 minute walk from the UIC. So everybody started as a runner or clerk in the 70's. Many went on to trade, plus the IMM began, as did the CBOE and financial complex of the CBOT. All were cheap access. The MidAM still existed then and it was the least expensive of the four.

#27     May 16, 2020

8. What are your higher callings? If you want to share

#28     May 16, 2020
  9. Nice one

#29     May 16, 2020
  10. People and kids were trading and investing in high school
    who started trading out of high school and did not go to college.

#30     May 16, 2020