Who says Americans don't save.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by omegapoint, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Time of impose tax on 'idle' cash.

2. rew

rew

I do hope you're joking. The crisis was caused by too much debt and speculation. So I hope you're not serious that you want to tax prudence and saving for a rainy day.

3. there already is a tax on idle cash. The us GOVT effectively has a 100% tax rate on interest earned on idle cash, and negative return after income tax on the piddly interest you do get.

4. gucci

gucci

Why don't they "invest" this money? They shouldn't do it in US, should they? So why this reluctancy?:) Now I have to think about whether my question was rhetorical or suggestive... Nevermind... It will be fun to see all those "reserves" being eaten up by their fixed costs during coming depression. Sorry for appearing to be cynical here but I just couldn't help myself... Those "risk taking" enterprises just have to reinterpret what they consider being risky... IMHO:)

5. pspr

pspr

They are holding this cash because they don't know what the government is going to do next to business. Tax healthcare, tax energy more, tax capital gains higher, tax investment, screw oil companies, screw utilities and power companies, screw coal companies, just screw all companies, etc., etc., etc.

So why invest in plant, equipment and employees when you don't know what your costs are going to be? Just let the cash pile up in the bank until (or, if) the tax and incentive issues are known.

6. gucci

gucci

So you didn't really read my post, did you?

7. pspr

pspr

Yes, I did read your rambling post.

8. gucci

gucci

Thank you for the colourful description of my writing abilities. I know how to appreciate it.
    May I assume, that such confidence on you part could only have stemmed from your economic background?

9. pspr

pspr

Sorry, I'm just a know it all and my knowledge and age reinforces my stubbornness and lack of respect for the opinion of others. Just do what I do to others. Put me on ignore and go on. You'll never have to deal with me again.

#10     Jun 11, 2010