who ruined the US markets ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by iceman1, Dec 7, 2012.

1. bln

bln

Maybe destroyed for scalpers and day traders, but I do not care about these boffins. For us swing traders there are plenty of money to extract from the current markets. Been making fifty percent per year on average, last year was a excellent year with nithy seven percent return and this year a dog year with only ten percent return so far. Six hundred percent return compounded for the last three years.

Either you adapt to the market or you go extinct. Complaining that the markets do suck does not help.

#21     Dec 9, 2012

2. +1

#22     Dec 9, 2012
  3. FED is the major player, they work with the investment banks plus Treasury. They will go after large public pools invested contrary to their agenda. PIMCO/Bill Gross ie Short TY's..

They are buying up distressed securities, and will inflate us out, billions to be made preserving stability.

Bond markets and equity markets controlled by the FED. Thus FED is to be blamed.

#23     Dec 9, 2012
  4. achilles28

achilles28

Where has the volume gone?

#24     Dec 9, 2012
  5. likewise, we could opine that the equity traders do not care about the boffins who trade currency markets for any duration of hold

#25     Dec 9, 2012
  6. The market doesn't exist to satisfy the needs of "short-term traders". This is normal market activity, if a trader can't make it through long patches like this, they will deservedly get drummed out of the business.

#26     Dec 9, 2012
  7. static historical charts only show range and swings... they do not show dynamic movement of price

real-time charts show much more staccato, surge - coil - plunge - coil - coil - coil - spike behavior due to low volume and algos domination.

thick markets are more deliberate and methodical in movement as price direction takes longer to evolve thru resting orders. thin markets squirt all over the place in v-turn fashion because no resting orders exist for deliberation.

historical charts cannot show the difference in price behavior. yes it still goes up, down and sideways as always. but HOW it goes thru that process is the vast difference now versus past

#27     Dec 9, 2012
  8. they have been... that process is exactly what we're discussing here. where does everyone think the volume and volatility has gone? from the "short-term" traders whose needs are no longer met and are already gone.

the traders who make it thru these periods are tomorrow's grizzled vets. the ones that fell by wayside are the proverbial 95+% failure rate everyone always quotes

#28     Dec 9, 2012
  9. I primarily trade the TF >440 tick, it certainly has smaller, less predictable moves intraday. Odd long bars.

Is it impossible trading atmosphere? No way. I'm learning to adjust.

But it's a challenge and of course, opportunities for money to be made :)

Question is: are the markets likely return to pre 2008 behavior? Doubtful. This market moves on news and what the central planners have in the "works".

#29     Dec 10, 2012
  10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Hey Austinp,

I've seen "a lot" worst in terms of volatility. The crap trading years were 1991 - 1995...consistently during a 4 year duration. Then again another session of crap trading years 2004 - 2006...consistently during a 2 year duration.

Recently, we've had crappy trading the latter part of 2010 and early part of 2011, early part of 2012 and again since June of 2012. That inconsistent volatility, regardless if its low or high, has made it extremely difficult for many traders to adapt. Thus, the low volatility trading stuff we see now is still just a baby in comparison to what has occurred in the past. Simply, if its tough trading now...it has a lot more room to get much worst in terms of volatility since 1991.

My point, if volatility does get worst and consistently like 1991 - 1995 and 2004 - 2006...retail traders will get hit extremely hard except for those with deep pockets and/or patience.

Yeah, I've traded through all the above. :cool:

Answer - Markets are not ruined. If it was, it'll be an Apocalypse.

#30     Dec 10, 2012