Who paid for the G20?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by sttrader, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Taxpayers in the US paid for the expensive wine and extravagant dinner at the G20.

"The White House said the menu included fruitwood-smoked quail with quince gastrique; quinoa risotto; thyme-roasted rack of lamb; tomato, fennel and eggplant fondue; a salad course of endive, baked brie and walnuts; and a pear torte to cap the meal."

"Among the wines: bottles of Shafer Cabernet “Hillside Select” 2003 — about $300 per bottle — for the main course and the much cheaper Landmark Chardonnay “Damaris Reserve” 2006 for about $40 per bottle with the appetizer course. The Chandon DEtoile RosDe sparkling wine that accompanied dessert runs around $30 a bottle."

If I were in the US about to lose my home and seeing my retirement go down the drain. I would not be happy hearing this. Fine if the G20 would seem to make an impact but it seems like it was just a big party held by Bush....a farewell party to himself.

2. thedewar

thedewar

so the approximate (and im pushing it) 10thousand dollars spent should be equally distributed amongst all of the millions of homeowners who got foreclosed.... expect your 1/19 of a penny within the next few days in the mail

3. Be very worried if the G20 dinner was held at a soup kitchen.

4. 4XQs

4XQs

Who cares if they had expensive wine or not - they were 21 people! Think of the bill for the staffers worldwide preparing that useless statement, and the travel bills and security arrangements for the entourages. The wine and food is utterly insignificant.

5. thedewar

thedewar

actually considering you're entertaining leaders from around the world thats hella cheap for a meal... 40$ for wine? thats laughable, 30$ for sparkling too

6. $300 per bottle...hahaha even G20 is feeling the credit crunch.

7. clacy

clacy

I think you miss the point. This country is not in any position to foot this kind of bill, period. The tax payers, should never have to pay for wine of any price. These fat cat politicians most likely feel like they are entitled to nice dinners, when if fact, they are there to serve us.

8. Act local, think global.

9. clacy

clacy

I see this in the corporate wold all the time. Wasting the company's money on fancy dinners that cost 5x more than what a "good" meal should cost. It pisses me off in that situation too, as that money comes directly out of the employees and stockholders pockets

10. spinn

spinn

I live in Washington DC and was getting lunch next to the White House when the motorcades started coming through.

There were fifteen separate motorcades going all sorts or directions. Some of the trucks leading these limos were frightening. Two entirely separate radar looking things and guns that were almost as big as the men carrying them.

They would not let anyone cross the street and we all had to wait in the rain while this fiasco passed.

My guess is just getting these people around the city cost $1 million....interesting scene though.

#10     Nov 18, 2008