Who is winning in the west: christianity or atheism?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by tradingjournals, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Until someone conclusively proves or disproves the existence of god I'll remain an agnostic.

I don't feel threatend by people with religious beliefs. My best university mathematics professor was a devout Christian, and the doctor who saved my daughter's life is an orthodox Jew. I see no reason to send either of them to the gulag for re-education.

#21     Sep 23, 2012
  2. absolute agnosticism is a cop out. You are conceding that you are not competent enough to make a rational analysis based on fact. There is no absolute certainty in this world, yet it is safe to make general assumptions based on proven facts. I know there is no big foot, I know there are no wizards and witches or god, because I put my trust in the concept of verifiable evidence.

#22     Sep 23, 2012
  3. Agnosticism is an admission that I don't have all the answers; nor do I feel the need to hate or fear people with beliefs different than mine.

As I said, my best university mathematics professor and the surgeon who saved my daughter's life were both deeply religious. Should I hate them? Fear them? Ridicule them?

#23     Sep 23, 2012
  4. You can only know what you know. And you know there is no big foot. You can't know what someone elsse knows. Suppose someone knows there is a big foot, why would they tell you and for what purpose?

#24     Sep 23, 2012
  5. Obamaism seems to be winning.

Obamaism-"A bizarre cult of the personality arising in the 3rd Millenium in the United States in which millions of people discarded all forms of rational thought and became mesmerized by the liquid delivery style of Senator and later President Barack Hussein Obama."

#25     Sep 23, 2012
  6. if you are too lazy to search for the answers you should at least note of where the people that spend their lives studying these things are:

I wonder if it bothers the religious that atheists have brilliant physicists, biologists, mathematicians arguing for the atheist side, while they have, really, no one of credible intelligence.
    What should I trust . . . the scientific method which allows 1000 independent scientists to come to the same conclusion . . . or a 1000 independent theists who each hold a separate picture of supposedly the same single deity, and all without a shred of evidence or research to repeat independently? Whatever we do know about the universe is all due to science -

#26     Sep 23, 2012
  7. lol. how gillible are you? they just ran a reality series on tv called "finding bigfoot" that went everyplace bogfoot sightings have been recorded and used the best scientific equiptment to find bigfoot. even those guys who were pro bigfoot found nothing.

#27     Sep 23, 2012
  8. that was brilliant. i would bet a lot of money that obama has a much higher intellect than you do.

#28     Sep 23, 2012
  9. stu

stu

Agnosticism is a self-contradicting, self-defeating religious statement and a cop out. Agnosticism says it is known that knowledge of a God cannot be known. :confused:
    Atheism is perhaps more honest in saying there is no good reason to even consider trying to know about something that by definition cannot be known about.

Theists believe in the existence of a god or gods, or believe there could be a god or gods and so rely on blind faith as a sort of justification.

Agnostics either don't believe, then they are atheist, or they believe there could be a god or gods by relying on the contradiction of knowing they can't know as a justification, similarly in the way a theist will rely on blind faith. Agnosticism is an actual lack of belief which of course is atheist.

Atheists either find no good reason to believe (which is basically what so called agnosticism is saying), or they just don't accept there is any existence of a god or gods.

However it does seem odd as someone who considers themself agnostic, who in practical terms is atheist, apparently assumes atheists will hate, fear and ridicule theists. In that regard I would suggest you are severely misinformed.

#29     Sep 23, 2012
  10. as long as they keep it to themselves you have to accept that even smart people are susceptible to delusion and work to do what we can to make sure that at least their kids are educated in a critical thinking manner.

We Have A Responsibility…as unbelievers, we have a responsibility to the future of our species to do whatever we can to disseminate the science and eliminate the myth.

#30     Sep 23, 2012