Who is this ElBaradei guy?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ricter, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Ricter

Ricter

Is he one of the guys who claimed Hussein's Iraq had no WMDs? (In direct contradiction to Bush's claim that Iraq could drop WMDs on American soil in as little as 45 minutes.) If so, and in light of all the WMDs we subsequently found in Iraq, can he really be trusted?

2. You make it sound as if Bush was the only one who thought Iraq had WMD. It was also the prevailing view of democrats.

"Saddam's goal ... is to achieve the lifting of U.N. sanctions while retaining and enhancing Iraq's weapons of mass destruction programs. We cannot, we must not and we will not let him succeed." -- Madeline Albright, 1998

"(Saddam) will rebuild his arsenal of weapons of mass destruction and some day, some way, I am certain he will use that arsenal again, as he has 10 times since 1983" -- National Security Adviser Sandy Berger, Feb 18, 1998

"Iraq made commitments after the Gulf War to completely dismantle all weapons of mass destruction, and unfortunately, Iraq has not lived up to its agreement." -- Barbara Boxer, November 8, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retained some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capability. Intelligence reports also indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons, but has not yet achieved nuclear capability." -- Robert Byrd, October 2002

"There's no question that Saddam Hussein is a threat... Yes, he has chemical and biological weapons. He's had those for a long time. But the United States right now is on a very much different defensive posture than we were before September 11th of 2001... He is, as far as we know, actively pursuing nuclear capabilities, though he doesn't have nuclear warheads yet. If he were to acquire nuclear weapons, I think our friends in the region would face greatly increased risks as would we." -- Wesley Clark on September 26, 2002

"What is at stake is how to answer the potential threat Iraq represents with the risk of proliferation of WMD. Baghdad's regime did use such weapons in the past. Today, a number of evidences may lead to think that, over the past four years, in the absence of international inspectors, this country has continued armament programs." -- Jacques Chirac, October 16, 2002

"The community of nations may see more and more of the very kind of threat Iraq poses now: a rogue state with weapons of mass destruction, ready to use them or provide them to terrorists. If we fail to respond today, Saddam and all those who would follow in his footsteps will be emboldened tomorrow." -- Bill Clinton in 1998

"I am absolutely convinced that there are weapons...I saw evidence back in 1998 when we would see the inspectors being barred from gaining entry into a warehouse for three hours with trucks rolling up and then moving those trucks out." -- Clinton's Secretary of Defense William Cohen in April of 2003

"Iraq is not the only nation in the world to possess weapons of mass destruction, but it is the only nation with a leader who has used them against his own people." -- Tom Daschle in 1998

"Saddam Hussein's regime represents a grave threat to America and our allies, including our vital ally, Israel. For more than two decades, Saddam Hussein has sought weapons of mass destruction through every available means. We know that he has chemical and biological weapons. He has already used them against his neighbors and his own people, and is trying to build more. We know that he is doing everything he can to build nuclear weapons, and we know that each day he gets closer to achieving that goal." -- John Edwards, Oct 10, 2002

"The debate over Iraq is not about politics. It is about national security. It should be clear that our national security requires Congress to send a clear message to Iraq and the world: America is united in its determination to eliminate forever the threat of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction." -- John Edwards, Oct 10, 2002

"I share the administration's goals in dealing with Iraq and its weapons of mass destruction." -- Dick Gephardt in September of 2002

"Iraq does pose a serious threat to the stability of the Persian Gulf and we should organize an international coalition to eliminate his access to weapons of mass destruction. Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to completely deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power." -- Al Gore, 2002

"Over the years, Iraq has worked to develop nuclear, chemical and biological weapons. During 1991 - 1994, despite Iraq's denials, U.N. inspectors discovered and dismantled a large network of nuclear facilities that Iraq was using to develop nuclear weapons. Various reports indicate that Iraq is still actively pursuing nuclear weapons capability. There is no reason to think otherwise. Beyond nuclear weapons, Iraq has actively pursued biological and chemical weapons.U.N. inspectors have said that Iraq's claims about biological weapons is neither credible nor verifiable. In 1986, Iraq used chemical weapons against Iran, and later, against its own Kurdish population. While weapons inspections have been successful in the past, there have been no inspections since the end of 1998. There can be no doubt that Iraq has continued to pursue its goal of obtaining weapons of mass destruction." -- Patty Murray, October 9, 2002

"As a member of the House Intelligence Committee, I am keenly aware that the proliferation of chemical and biological weapons is an issue of grave importance to all nations. Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process." -- Nancy Pelosi, December 16, 1998

3. Ricter

Ricter

What does all that chatter have to do with ElBaradei? What did he say about them (if anything)?

4. I noticed you didn't say that Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Wesley Clark or Nancy Pelosi believed there were WMD in Iraq. You only mentioned Bush. I'm sure that was an innocent oversight on your part.

As regards your question about ElBaradei, you already know the answer. So why ask it?

5. Ricter

Ricter

I only mentioned Bush because it was he I watched on TV making the statement. It was his watch, he's gotta take the blame, just like Obama, right?

I'm asking because I want to know if we could trust this ElBaradei guy, who may have opposed the US in the past.

6. I don't think his stand on one issue (WMD) determines anything. Overall, he appears better than most in that fanatical part of the world. At least his politics tend toward being secular rather than fundamentalist.

7. Here are Democrats before the Iraq War started

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N5p-qIq32m8" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

8. Are the people listed below, people you trust?

I doubt it.

So anyone who said there were WMD's, perhaps shouldn't be trusted...and those who said there were no WMD's...like Scott Ritter and other inspectors...are the one's who should be trusted, right?

9. The Chatter is American one. He is already burned after he claimed that he got the green light from the opposition to represent them, only to be exposed by the people and opposition to be the liar he is. The people and the opposition will never forgive him for his other lie when he confirmed that Iraq has been working on a nuclear bomb development. People in the street went as far as accusing him of being the cause of Iraq's occupation.

Good try American but I am afraid it is not up to you anymore. You might want to pay more attention to the other Arab dictators that are about to be swept.

10. At the time, to declare that you didn't think Saddam had WMD's
    would have been like wearing a cheese hat in the middle of the terrible towels section at the super bowl ...while the towels were all drunk.

#10     Feb 1, 2011