Who is the most popular economist on the internet?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Debaser82, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Do we need an economists view point to understand the Euro crisis? Looks like an ordinary problem that will require an extraordinary solution.

Just saying..

#11     Oct 13, 2011
  2. Not saying we need one, just curious on who do people turn to today.

#12     Oct 13, 2011
  3. I learned fundamental of economics from my grand father, a farmer.

#13     Oct 14, 2011
  4. I am a fan of Peter Schiff. I don't take much notice of his predictions as I know that no one is able to forecast with precision, however, I do enjoy his eloquent way of explaining his Austrian School mindset and efforts to convince Congress.

#14     Oct 14, 2011
  5. sheda

sheda

Mark Cuban.

#15     Oct 14, 2011
  6. http://www.sovereignman.com/

You don’t need a PhD in economics– you just need to understand basic arithmetic.

Europe’s problems can also be explained as simply. Greece effectively has no money, and its only access to capital is continued bailouts. There are four options for the country being discussed:

1) Austerity. Not only is this politically unpopular, it causes social unrest. People won’t stand for it… nor will they be able to pay enough police officers to beat them back with batons. The populist uprising will squash any meaningful austerity plan.

2) “Grow its way out”. Not possible. When you count public and private debt together (roughly 260% of GDP), Greece is spending roughly 15% of its entire GDP just on interest payments. That’s an incredibly high barrier to growth.

3) Inflation. Ordinarily, governments would just print their way out… but this isn’t even possible right now because Greece doesn’t control its own printing press.

4) Default. Result? Set off a chain reaction of banking failures and a derivatives meltdown. Utter financial carnage. Nobody wants to see this.

#16     Oct 14, 2011
  7. Eight

Eight

Martin Armstrong

#17     Oct 14, 2011
  8. what about Meredith Whitney? She's not an economist by trade, but she make prediction on S&P and bank sector worldwide. She also advise the G20.

there is a 5th case: Germany & France can loan trillion to German/French banks to keep them liquid, and get every1 to accept 50% forgiveness on greece, that way, greece will function reasonably normally for the next few years

#18     Oct 15, 2011
  9. gtor514

gtor514

I'd put Gary Shilling on the list.

#19     Oct 15, 2011
  10. JamesL

JamesL

I know Krugman thinks he is.

#20     Oct 15, 2011