Who is the better technician, Alan Farley or Gary B. Smith?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by alanrof, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Its a heavyweight book, but it looks great on my shelf... definitely a pulling tool for females who I invite around to see me trade.

#31     Jan 26, 2002
  2. Actually, I was joking about Alan's Farley book (my comment above was written when I had a few beers in me)... for those of you willing to put the work in, it is well worth the investment... unlike most TA books, Alan has geared the book totally to swingtrading, and has explained in depth a plethora of strategies that should accomodate all swingtrading personality-types.

Another thing, Alan's Hardrightedge.com website is AWESOME, and is packed with useful material for ALL trading styles... check out the Order Routing table for example... you can't get that anywhere else (a great deal of work has been put into that table, and it seems to evolve to fit regulatory changes in the market place).

I would recommend that potential swingtraders get hold of Alan Farley's book... in my opinion, for swingtrading, its the best book out there ... but I warn you, you have to work hard at it to ensure you extract its full value... that shouldn't be a problem if you are a motivated student of trading.

#32     Jan 26, 2002
  3. Alanrof,

To directly answer your question in the thread is impossible for me, since I am not familiar with the work of Gary B. Smith...

I can, however, wholeheartedly recommend that you get hold of Alan Farley's book and that you also study his website at www.hardrightedge.com ...

Unlike most vendors, Alan's work is very well thought-out and serious stuff... a knowledge of Alan's work for swingtrading and Vadym's (Realitytrader.com) work for intraday approaches should be optimal if you need a couple of helping hands during your learning curve.

Regards,
    Candle

#33     Jan 26, 2002
  4. Magna

Magna Administrator

Candle,

in my opinion, for swingtrading, its the best book out there

Just curious, have you read Dave Landry on Swingtrading and, if so, how it compares to Alan's book in your opinion. Also, what other books geared specifically to swingtrading have you read? Thanks.

#34     Jan 26, 2002
  5. I am aware of David Landry's work... his bowtie formation has merit across most timeframes.

I have also got a familiarity with Linda Raschke's work... her moving average pullback approach has merit too.

Additionally, I have read Sarkovich's book on swingtrading (a total waste of money).

Finally, I have read Tony Oz' work... I found his intraday work excellent... his swingtrading approaches are very good too... Tony Oz and Alan Farley I rate pretty equally... Alan scores for the in-depth nature of his book... Tony scores in the simplicity department... to be frank, its a difficult choice between Tony Oz and Alan Farley as to who is the best... its a personal decision... I would recommend both for an excellent overall coverage of swingtrading.

The thing I like about Alan's book is that he provides a real diversity of approaches that can be matched to most personality-types... I am also attracted by the in-depth explanations he gives... admittedly the book does require some effort, but that should not be a major concern for serious students of trading.

#35     Jan 26, 2002
  6. LOL, I had one see that book on my shelf and ask if it had something to do with certain sexual practices (swinging?). No she was not a blonde, she just had a one track mind. :cool:

#36     Jan 26, 2002
  7. FLACK

FLACK

I don't think it's a contest. I've tried them both, but neither compare to the guy over at momentumstockplays.com. I've also used security trader and they do a good job as well.

Happy Trading,

FLACK

#37     Jan 26, 2002
  8. Haven't heard of him (interesting that your first post on Elitetrader should be promoting a virtually unknown website... also interesting that your second post had a set of links to that site... )

#38     Jan 27, 2002
  9. limbo

limbo

Alanrof --Unfortunately I'm reading this thread for the first time(or I would have notified you) Chris Terry--Stocktrend.com--works with Linda in Linda Bradford Raschke's Stockbeat Room-gave a sensational online chat(webcast) yesterday. Chris was invited to speak by Cornerstone Investors network- flew down to Tampa to do so- to what seemed to be a full house. Chris, besides remakable chart wisdom, is an extremly generous guy who really delights in helping people. I highly recommend you visit his stocktrendwizard.com site and check it out. While at the site check out Chris's recent article in Active Trader magazine--"Multiple Patterns, multiple time frames". If you can't find it on the site email Chris-I'm sure he'll send it to you(or buy the mag.)-as I said he's an enormously generous guy--I know -He's helped me personally a great deal. He may be just what the doctor ordered for you

#39     Jan 27, 2002
  10. Alan,
    Opinions are like armpits, everyone has them, so I won't add my opinion, but my experience from trading which started in 1970. I'm not saying I am more experienced or profitable than others are but I do know what makes a good foundation. I have traded futures, options and stocks and read tons of books and what I learned is there is nothing, especially paper trading, that teaches trading like actually trading itself. You can't trade anyone else's selections. Gary and Alan or anyone else isn't you. Different levels of experience, risk tolerance, trading styles, etc.

If you want to understand the thinking behind the methodology read the archives of Gary B. Smith from the beginning, also Todd Harrison's diary, both free.

Decide what your risk/reward should be, the time period you're comfortable with, and look at your past trades to see what you where most successful at. Set aside what you can afford to lose and trade small size, keep a journal of why you traded what you did, what you based your decision on and what you did right and wrong. After awhile you will gain experience and that will give you the confidence that only experience can give.

Understand that you're embarking on a stressful undertaking at probably a stressful time in your life. Go easy on yourself. All the best to you and your family…….Pat

#40     Jan 27, 2002