Who is the better technician, Alan Farley or Gary B. Smith?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by alanrof, Jan 25, 2002.

1. I personally would never sign up for one of these "enhanced" services all these financial sites are pushing so fervently. I mean it is ridiculous, every frigging columnist on RealMoney and Trading Markets has their own pay service. It's like you subscribe to a magazine , then they say , well you have to pay extra to get the real articles. Talk about bait and switch, they make car dealers look good. I have never seen anything from either smith or farley that I would pay $.25 for. I don't even bother to read gbs's column. He puts up a few charts and draws a couple of trendlines, that's the extent of his knowledge. You are going to pay for that??? I challenged him once to produce statistics for all his sweeping assertions, ie "it's a sell if this support is broken, etc", he had nothing, nada. Basically, he has read a couple of books and faithfully parrots them. Why pay for farley either? The setups he uses are all on his website , www.hardrightedge.com, and they list stokcs that are candidates every night, not that you'll make any money following them.

#11     Jan 25, 2002
  2. Ssshhh AAA, don't let the newbies know that vendors are snake oil... when I retire from trading I may wanna set up a vending business which I can run for nice profits from the Caribbean... but if newbies knew the truth, I would have no future clients!

#12     Jan 25, 2002
  3. toby400

toby400

Rhetorical question = question that doesn't require an answer.

Example: Can a leopard change its' spots?

Meaning; you answered your own question by mentioning trying both services.

Comment: The vendor bandwagon is groaning under the growing weight of gurus from financial web sites and other financial dark corners. Beware slippery roads caused by the spillage of snake oil.

Action: Alan - there are some good guys on this site willing to give advice. Take your head out of the sand, spit out the snakeoil and listen to them. At least say "thankyou " or "thankyou - but..."

Toby

#13     Jan 25, 2002
  4. You guys need to lighten up. Geez, he asked if anyone knew anything about these guys. It was a legitimate question in my opinion, and certainly I have asked even more ridiculous questions than this.

#14     Jan 25, 2002
  5. candle,

I'm trying to help them save their money until I can set up my own site and chatroom. Of course, I won't be doing it for the money. I love helping people and feel an obligation to give something back.

#15     Jan 25, 2002
  6. Rigel

Rigel

The service you should use really depends on who you like the most, who you have the most confidence in, who you want to pay.

#16     Jan 25, 2002
  7. oolarinm

oolarinm

i like your view on vendors , have you been burnt by them? you know i always say you will NEVER be a consistently profitable trader following these vendors, you will only learn the BASICS GUARANTEED

#17     Jan 25, 2002

8. ... he said sarcastically... and Candletrader agreed, don't ya know it!

#18     Jan 25, 2002
  9. Personally I thought there was more meat in what the other (How I trade Stocks for a Living) Gary Smith had to say and it will only cost you $21 at Amazon.

#19     Jan 25, 2002
  10. oolarinm,

No, I wouldn't say I've been burned by any vendors, but I've never used any of the chatrooms. I have no way of knowing if either of these guys has ever made a dime trading, and neither does anyone else who is contemplating using them. What I really object to however is how these financial sites have turned into advertisements for a bunch of add-on services. I think it will end up hurting them, because people will reasonably think, why should I join a site if the columnist saves his best ideas for his paid service?

#20     Jan 25, 2002