who is the best options trader in this forum ?

Discussion in 'Options' started by traderlux, Jan 20, 2018.

1. ironchef

ironchef

I actually do understand the risks. Been there done that since 2010. I am a full time trader trading my own capital.

The risky part is I don't have any formal financial trainings, everything is self taught.

#31     Jan 23, 2018
    subie and Van_der_Voort_4 like this.
  2. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ironchef, our thinking is very similar on many subjects. I was wondering what kind of option
    trading you do?

#32     Jan 23, 2018
  3. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Traderlux, in the almost 12 years I have been reading the ET forum, I have never seen anyone
    trade with the success of the ET member named "optionsinvestor" with the thread:
    My trades
    Discussion in 'Journals' started by optionsinvestor, Nov 14, 2017.

He is constantly hitting option trades with +100% to +200% winners and has success on approximately 2 out every 3 trades, and doubles his small starting account every month or two
    months. These are real time calls.
    His thread is worth a read if your interested in successful ET option traders.

#33     Jan 23, 2018
    ironchef and Onra like this.
  4. ironchef

ironchef

I am just a beginner, still trying to understand option pricing, learning the greeks, etc. I am just doing simple directional bets, both longs and shorts, calls and puts, placing bets on my view of the underlying direction. Some will say I am just gambling.

Best wishes to you.

#34     Jan 23, 2018
  5. Actually @sle is right. I
    Sorry, I wasn't referring to your not understanding risk/reward from a trading perspective. But realizing the mental anguish (health and pressure risk) of trading ones own capital especially when their trading capital is a significant portion of their net worth. Sounds like you may be in a similar situation.

I don't have a finance background either. Electrical engineer by training but have been in full-time in various business ventures for the last 5 years. OPM does have advantage of better margin rates because of the scale, better commissions rates and being able to do trades of larger (and less riskier) instruments that a smaller capital could. Also, for certain sized accounts, you have will have ability to trade international options. International options opens up other possibilities of diversification and (to my understanding) better mispricing arbitrage.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    #35     Jan 23, 2018
  6. stevenk85

stevenk85

Would these be in single name or index vol? I presume the latter since the bid/ask in single names would probably make a high turnover strategy unprofitable?

#36     Jan 23, 2018
  7. spy guy

spy guy

I always have some very low buy orders in place for big market drops. I was in cash when that took place. My buy orders filled I sold before close for a $10800.00 profit I love big bad news because I only hold a short time and only get in big on big drops

#37     Jan 23, 2018
  8. ironchef

ironchef

Welcome to the club. Actually, after a couple of years going at it, everything became just numbers on a piece of paper. The greed and fear of winning and losing were replaced by the joy of pursuing the puzzles of winning and losing trades.

Good luck and enjoy your journey.

#38     Jan 23, 2018
  9. spy guy

spy guy

Keep it simple it works for us self taught guys

#39     Jan 23, 2018
    ironchef likes this.
  10. ironchef

ironchef

But watch out, take some $ off the table when you are able to.

Just like buy and hold SPY beats fancy hedge fund for the last several years. We look like geniuses, until the market turns bad, then the professional traders, the MBA, PhD economists, quants will rule.

Regards,

#40     Jan 23, 2018