who is tesla's energy storage (namely power wall/bank) competitor?

Discussion in 'Options' started by ggelitetrader000, Feb 8, 2020.

1. With all eyes fixating on the car business, I am noticing uptick trend on MW-s deployed last quarter which is more than 100% increase YOY.
    I am assuming this is going to be a substantial increase in upcoming years. I would like to pay attention down the road. It has not become the story of mainstream tablet yet, but sometime during next few years, I think it is going to grab the attention of media.

So I would like to keep monitoring but just curious what knowing who is the main competitirs of tesla's car business is being crystal clear, i am wondering what other players that could potentially challenge directly or indirectly in this arena of powerwall/powerbank business?

I am not paying much attention to solarcity's roof business however i heard also promising sign they manage to drastically reduce the price of normally looking solar powered roof tiles too.

2. Cuddles

Cuddles

3. All of the leading designs are lead or lead-bismuth fast reactors. Majority are LFR.

4. Cuddles

Cuddles

I got my techs mixed up...technically I meant molten metal (was thinking of the antimony type; problem is, rarer than lithium), but I suppose molten salt solar also applies in the discussion...seems like it's surpassed conventional batteries by capacity:

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/will-molten-salt-outdo-batteries-for-grid-tied-storage

http://news.mit.edu/2016/battery-molten-metals-0112

Am still curious about Bill's/terrapower's fast reactor

5. Bum

Bum

One of the biggest benefits of TSLA owning a solar and energy storage business might be to provide power for more of it's charging stations. Most power for it's stations are purchased from electric companies but eventually they may convert more to solar with battery storage. They have good profit margins on the electricity they sell to charge the vehicles but will be even better if they're getting the power for free minus the cost of the solar/storage equipment which they produce themselves.

6. Cabin111

Cabin111

I will say one thing...Tesla's power wall is the best in the industry. You can see people who's Tesla is junked for salvage, then use their battery as a power wall (Youtube). Also price wise, the average Tesla power wall runs about $9,000. while others in the industry run about $6,000. They are that much better. I still am holding Panasonic...I believe they have the know how (since they have partnered with Tesla) to become an industry leaders in this area. I have looked into the Tesla power wall in my area...Modesto CA. No one will install or service a Tesla power wall here. They are limited to big cities as of this time...

7. That's not proof of superiority.

I have a Model S (wife's car) and I use the 240v home hookup, but I don't drive the car if I forget to charge it overnight. The ICE automakers are going to eat Tesla alive with the HV-systems.

8. Cabin111

Cabin111

I am just saying at this time (or a few months ago when I checked). The industry is changing...I get it. Better products down the road...But they are not here yet. Below is what is here now...

9. Do you own one? What's the purpose if you don't have photovoltaics and/or a Tesla?

#10     Feb 8, 2020